PDA

View Full Version : Extended life coolants and Diesel Fuel Additives

TeePee
07-06-2004, 08:38
Dr. Lee, 1) ELCs: are they all compatible? and 2) which DFA brands are good to use (if at all) and which should be avoided? Thanks, TeePee.

CleviteKid
07-07-2004, 11:40
If they are pink (or sort of orange) and they say DEXCOOL on the container, then the extended life coolants are compatible. Actually you can mix green and pink, like in an emergency, but then you have to treat it like green (no extended life) and change the brew as soon as possible.

My own strategy with my lead-soldered brass 1984 radiator is to use a 50-50 mix of DEXCOOL and distilled water (about 79 cents a gallon at the grocery store) and to replace half of it every year. This keeps everything clean and fresh, and is cheap insurance.

Diesel Fuel Additives are a good idea with the questionable fuel quality we get here in the U.S. of A. Stanadyne and Power Service and FPPF and 4Plus seem to be the favorites of our members. ATF has been pretty well debunked as an additve. However, I do add about 1 ounce of TC-W3 two stroke oil to every 10 gallons of diesel fuel.

Dr. Lee :cool:

C.K. Piquup
07-08-2004, 19:00
Dr.Lee,Are you saying you only add the 2-stroke oil as additive?Or,also add 2-stroke oil?

TomEichenberger
07-12-2004, 04:15
And while were on the subject...

With all the question's concerning "green vs.pink"
antifreeze (Jim's article on Dex-Cool was a good one!)Let's throw another one into the mix(no pun intended)!

There is another extended life coolent(ELC) that has been formulated for heavy duty gas, diesel, and natural gas engines.

This coolent was formulated in conjunction with Texaco and Caterpiller and is known as "CAT-EC1".

Here's what they say. CAT-EC1"...utilizes patented caboxylate inhibitors that allow the coolent to go at least 600,000 miles,6000 hours or 6 years before coolent change. No SCA's(supplemental coolent additives) are needed.A single addition of Cat extender is all that is required at 300,000 miles,3000 hours or three years." There is a Rotella version and I'm sure there are other's with the CAT-EC1 designation.

Questions...
Cost-(I picked up 4 gallons at close out at "Big Lots". OK,OK, I'm cheap, but it only ran me $5.00 bucks a gallon;can't tell you real world prices.

Viability in small diesels- Don't know if this would make any difference, but big diesels(trains, big rigs, oil drilling...etc), tend to run continuously(Although the EPA is cracking down!).Would the stop and start/on and off cycle of "light duty" affect the life of this anti-freeze?

Whaddaya think Doc? The "Holy Grail" for our cooling systems, or an "apples /oranges"argument?