PDA

View Full Version : NA power

dieselhumvee
01-28-2004, 10:41
Dr. Lee,

I have increased the fuel setting on my 93 6.2 NA hummer by 1/6th of a turn. This is after changing the air filter to a K+N and getting rid of the factory muffler. The NA hummers have a good flowing intake manifold, headers and 3 inch exhuast already, not to mention the intake tubing is 4 inch!!! After this fuel increase I see only the tiniest amount of black smoke and the power increase is very noticeable. My next two steps are the performance cam you mentioned and 4911 pump with TD injectors. My factory HP rating on this engine is 165 according to the sticker on the valve cover, I think I may be near 180 now. Do you think it is possible with the cam/pump/injectors to reach 190-200 HP and 375-400 Ft LBS? I am impressed with the 6.2 NA in my hummer, it used to be very slow but now has some pep, but as always I am itching for more. What kind of HP/torque do you estimate your little red hot rod is putting out? I am interested to see if after the cam/pump if I can race and keep up with a TD hummer. If I do find one to race I will be sure to let everyone here know.

arveetek
01-29-2004, 07:50
Why don't you turn up your pump some more? Little black smoke indicates that you're not running too much fuel yet. I turned my pump up a 1/4 turn, and it doesn't smoke too bad. Lots more power now as well. Installing an EGT guage would be good as well. It will help you determine how much fuel you're running. I can hit 1400 + degrees on a long pull with my trailer in tow. So I'm definitely burning all the fuel I can. Time for the turbo!

Of course, new IP and injectors would be the best!

Casey

dieselhumvee
01-29-2004, 21:12
Arveetek,

Did you notice much of a difference between 1/6th and 1/4 of a turn? I guess it would be a much cheaper/easier next step to put a pyro and turn up the pump a little bit more.

arveetek
02-04-2004, 06:40
No, but that's because I went straight to the 1/4 turn!

You'll need a pyro anyway for any future mods you have planned, so you might as well start with that so you have some way of measuring your baseline. Then you can turn the pump up some more and see what happens.

Casey