PDA

View Full Version : TP oil filter

wthif
04-12-2005, 10:34
Hi Doc,

I was reading a rather long post over on the TDR forum about TP by-pass oil filters. I was just curious about your opinion?

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98863&page=1&pp=15

CleviteKid
04-12-2005, 13:25
I have had a bypass filter on my truck for several years, first an Amsoil unit, and now a Donaldson 3 micron hydraulic filter. I would use a finer filter, down to 1 micron, if Donaldson or a similar company offered one. If you are going to keep your truck "forever" I think a bypass filter is a good idea. If you are going to sell or trade it before it gets to 100,000 miles, don't bother.

I am leary of using TP or other materials not intended for the temperature and chemistry of our engine internals.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Jim Brzozowski
04-21-2005, 08:53
Dr. Lee, the Engineer at Oil Guard told me his bypass filters are down to between 1 & 2 micron absolute. For Liquid flow thats about as good as it gets. I know we build natural gas filters down to 0.3 microns, but as you well know thats not possible with liquid flow.

Barry Nave
05-12-2005, 02:45
Went to that fourm,I run the amsoil by-pass using filters supply from JK (Baldwin)
I see this dip stick and this is from a diesel :rolleyes:
My oil is always black redface.gif
I have seen MP power truck having nice oil color but never on mine.

humding
05-12-2005, 13:35
Dr Lee, how often do you change your oil and full flow filter?

CleviteKid
05-13-2005, 03:16
I only put about 5000 miles per year on my truck, so I usually change on a time basis, every six months.

Then it gets oil change, new full-flow filter and new bypass filter. If I do drive to a Rendezvous, then I change every 2500 to 3000 miles.

Once a year, I do an oil cleaning by putting in a charge of oil, a low-cost but quality oil filter like an AC PF35, and a hollow bypass filter (I yanked the guts out and put the shell back together) , let the engine idle while I change the antifreeze (about 15 minutes) then drain the oil and replace the temporary filters. This gets more of the dirty oil out once a year.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Billman
05-13-2005, 09:21
OK, I'll bite...

Why a 'hollowed out' bypass filter?