PDA

View Full Version : anyone use a WVO setup?

Keith Richards
11-26-2004, 08:35
Hey guys,does anyone here use the waste vegetable oil setup on their 6.5's?I'm kind of interested in this conversion.I'm pretty sure someone here posted having this setup here,and it was kind of,(well very),complicated for me at least,but I'm still interested.It would probably take me a couple of years to recoup the cost,and I'd have to hold on to the truck forever if I did it,but I just want to know the cost and the pros and cons,coming from you guys are always good!It'd be kind of cool to have a truck that smeels like greasy fries,and chicken going down the road,not to mention free fuel!I know its got to be difficult,or else everybody would be hip to it.

RT
11-27-2004, 20:07
I am in the process of getting setup to collect, filter and run WVO. I have put 5gallons of filtered WVO straight into the tank in the summertime with no issues. My WVO storage is (4) 55gallon drums in my garage/basement. One is for settling, one is the filter drum and the other two are for storage of filtered oil. I have a hand crank and also a 12volt gear pump for WVO collection from source. Still working on plumbing and inline filters. On the truck a 32gallon bed mounted tank will have a coolant heat exchanger, the lines will be heated all the way to the heated WVO filter then to the 6-port valve and through the factory fuel filter and into the IP. I will be running a return line like the factory fuel setup and an additional electric lift pump mounted at the WVO tank to push the WVO forward to the filter and IP. The setup will also have an electric WVO heater to boost the WVO temp just prior to entering the IP. This will be switched since it will only be needed in the winter. Planning on a WVO temp gauge, vacuum gauge to measure WVO filter condition and a modified wiring setup so the factory lift pump shuts off when the WVO system is selected. Yes this will be a fairly sophisticated system but I feel it will be worth it. It will cost me about $1000 for the conversion and the collection gear. Since I use $2000+ of fuel per year it will pay off pretty quickly. RT

Keith Richards
11-28-2004, 14:17
Sounds great, let us know the details when complete,or any pictures would be awesome.Thanks