PDA

View Full Version : Running HOT under load!

Stray Cat
08-06-2004, 12:37
Ever since I put the Banks Turbo and 700R4 trans in my '83 4WD 3/4T 6.2L Suburban, the coolant runs hot under load. I have had the heads replaced, put in a High Efficiency radiator, High-flow 7-blade flex fan, dual 14" electric puller fans, high-flow water pump, high-flow 180 degree thermostat. All of that made it much better, but on a long grade, it will overheat if I let it. The engine oil and transmission stay relatively cool, but the coolant will quickly increase. To stop it, I downshift and let off the accelerator. The overheating doesn't come with high EGTs, but with load on the engine. I can run 900-1,000 EGTs on level ground with no heating problem; when the engine is loadad on a grade, I have keep the EGTs at less than 700 (by downshifting & backing off accelerator) and the coolant climbs quickly. Once the load is removed (crested the grade), the coolant temp drops off quickly. The EGT will never go above 1,050, and boost max's at about 8psi. Does anyone have any solutions? I bought the Banks & 700R4 so I could travel from So. Cal. to Eastern AZ regularly. I have all the power, but can't use it because of the overheating problem! HELP!!! :confused: