PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed in Orlando

HowieE
03-22-2005, 17:16
Does anyone have a recomendation of a good shop in the Orlando area. A fellow member, "Spindrift" is staying at Fort Wilderness in Disney and his truck has died.

I am writing this because he is away from his computer. I will relay any ideas to him Wednesday am

Turbine Doc
03-22-2005, 18:24
Howie I left you a note over on the Place with my contact info to pass on to him

Billman
03-23-2005, 04:49
Keep us posted Howie.

Let me know how I can help.

He should also have my numbers...

Turbine Doc
03-23-2005, 04:56
I talked to him last nite does not sound good, he is going to do some more trouble shooting, his wife reported a odd noise, stumble & hesitatation, then after pulling over and resuming the drive shutdown, Spindrift/Tom had it towed back to the campground. Oil underneath the truck bed and across exhaust crossover. Starter solenoid could not be heard to engage or attempt to crank over the engine, even though he had headlight power. I hooked him up with GMCTD, and I have a buddy in Orlando area that may be of assistance as well, will keep you posted what this mornings troubleshooting reveals, it was dark last nite by time he got the truck back.

gmctd
03-23-2005, 09:48
Just spoke with Spindrift - looks like the engine shredded the flexplate - he's seeing mangled, twisted metal thru the lowered flywheel cover.

He's now trying to drop the crossover pipe to allow removing the cover, with only vacation tools on hand.

Anybody near Disney World, Orlando?

BTW - he says you guys are all to blame for this - by teaching him how to improve the power output of a 6.5l turboDiesel to the point it can shred it's own flywheel! ;)

rjschoolcraft
03-23-2005, 09:51
In the earlier posts, mention was made of oil coating the exterior of the engine...

That coupled with the mangled flexplate... sounds like it may have broken a crankshaft.
:(
Hope not!

gmctd
03-23-2005, 10:02
More than likely, just a damaged rear seal - it's in very close proximity to the the flywheel mounting flange surface.

Keepin' my fingers crossed........

Turbine Doc
03-23-2005, 11:08
I found him a dealer recommended by a friend in the area, looks like with him being remote away from home area about best we can do for him unless someone local knows better Courtesy Chevy by the airport

gmctd
03-24-2005, 18:26
Update - he's at a local garage, where they dropped the 4L80\transfercase, to find the flex-plate totally destroyed, and the rear main seal torn\damaged by the broken pieces.

Local Chev dealer ordered a new flex-plate, today.

Tomorrow a.m. he'll remove the five or six easiest glowplugs, attach the flex-plate, try rotating the crankshaft.
If it cannot be rotated, or emits grinding noises, he is thinking replacement 18:1 and some goodies.

If crank rotates with no undue mechanical noises, plan is to drop the pan, noting any debris in the sump, inspect the crank and mains-webbing for the unusual, reseal the pan, new rear seal, and go back together with it.

He had been hearing a ticking noise, like lifters or such, previously, while driving around without the trailer - same symptoms I had when the flex-plate on my engine broke and eventually separated at the hub.

jspringator
03-25-2005, 03:55
Should inspection or replacement of the "flexplate" be on any regular maintenance schedule?

gmctd
03-25-2005, 04:54
These are the only two I'm aware of, and mine may have been damaged in the boneyard, engine sitting various places around that shop.

gmctd
03-25-2005, 09:02
Really bad news, this Good Friday Morning, regarding Spindrift's '98 K2500 Sub.

Appears #4 main cap separated from the block, which then broke the oil pump off the rear main cap, then proceded to break #7 and #8 rods, shutting the engine down.

No external damage to the pan, which would indicate such catastrophic failure.

Other than the clattering, grinding noise over the time period this was happening, at 60mph, then 20mph looking for a safe place to pull off, then back to 45mph, the truck responded as tho it was stumbling, as from lack of fuel, then it just quit.

He is considering two options - an 18:1 Pen, or an IBC conversion.

He is requesting input from any member(s) who have done the Cummins conversion.

He works at Cummins, iirc.

jspringator
03-25-2005, 13:29
I feel for Spindrift. That is the type of failure, (catastrophic) at the same place, (far from home) that terrifies me. I wish him the best of luck.

HowieE
03-26-2005, 05:37
Well the saga of Orlando is drawing to an end.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and thoughts. I am sure you will all agree that when you are on vacation with 6 kids, 200 lbs of dogs, and your sister-in-law, in a 35 ft. trailer the last thing you need is engine troubles.

No doubt Spindrift will fill in the details, on the engine not the kids, when he gets home.

Shad
03-26-2005, 06:18
We are going to the same campground in august and I always fear such a situation. However we are using the excursion to pull the TT on this trip. I hope he has recieved all the help he could get without suffering the pocket too much..I think that far away on a disney trip I myself would be pushed into coming home with a new truck.

markrinker
04-04-2005, 13:28
I was thinking the same thing...a new Duramax to tow the trailer home would look pretty good while you were at the dealership in Orlando.

What a bummer. I was fortunate when mine broke only blocks from my normal repair shop. Only the week before I had been over 750 miles from home in the middle of the Ozarks, pulling a boat home. That would have sucked...(humming 'Dueling Banjos')

Good luck Spindrift. Build a NEW MONSTER 6.5!!!