PDA

View Full Version : NP 246 Auto 4 WD Transfer Case?

DA BIG ONE
08-21-2004, 03:34
Dr. Lee, I have a 1999 GMC Sub running a NP 246 auto 4wd t-case. Recently I had an accident with a car running up under the burb tearing out the d/s suspension, axel, and damaged the front IFS diff, d/s torsion bar and bar x-member.

Prior to this accident, I had no problems whatsoever with this t-case, now it leaks at both output shafts, and whines when activated.

Here is the question: Could towing this burb in gear do such damage to the t-case?

NOTE: GM's owners manual is very clear about not towing the burb with this t-case at all in gear.

CleviteKid
08-21-2004, 04:29
I am not a 4x4 transfer case expert, but I suspect we have several on this forum. Can you help my fellow Floridian in his claim against the towing company ? ? ? ? ?

Dr. Lee :cool:

laidback383
08-21-2004, 08:55
i as always told never to tow 4wd's with a tow truck but it should be flat beded and with wreak that hard why they would use a wheel lift is odd if it was towed they should have put the transfer case in neutral any way my point is in the land of snow our 4wd's never see a truck just flat beds hope it helps

CleviteKid
08-21-2004, 10:06
We have plenty of flatbeds here in Florida, too. Jerr-Dan wishes EVERYBODY would use one ;) .

Dr. Lee :cool:

DA BIG ONE
08-21-2004, 15:18
Thanks for the input, a tear down is next to see what really needs fixin!

DA BIG ONE
09-08-2004, 14:58
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
Thanks for the input, a tear down is next to see what really needs fixin! UPDATE!

New transfer case on the way, hope to get it in before IVAN hits....

DA BIG ONE
09-23-2004, 01:58
New, not rebuilt NP-246 finally installed w/o claim against tow company. The insurance adjuster who kept giving me the run around no longer works for the company who insures me!

One less issue!