PDA

View Full Version : PMD Failure

JOLLYFERT
08-23-2004, 19:37
:confused: new member here.. Need help with this PMD Failure.I have a 1996 GMC K2500-6.5TD with 167K miles, it just started stalling and stopping all of a sudden. While driving at any speed It may shut off. While ideling in park It will run and intermittenly stall or shut down. I contacted Mr. Kennedy and he personally told me that I probally need to install the PMD kit on his website. Can anyone give me more detail on this problem and is this someting I can repair or will I need to contact the SHARKS at the Dealership... smile.gif

JTodd
08-24-2004, 03:35
Jolly
Without knowing more, it sounds like a classic PMD (FSD) failure. I think most, if not all on the Diesel Page will recommend a remote FSD with heat sink. Both Kennedy Diesel and Heath Diesel have them. I replaced mine recently and the problem disapeared. Same symptoms as yours - the engine would just shut off like the key was turned. Got to the point that it would not regularly restart. Do a search on FSD in the 6.5L Turbo Diesel section and you will find considerable information. Good Luck.

moondoggie
08-24-2004, 06:15
Good Day!

You might want to post your question on the 6.5L Turbo Diesel forum. Dr. Lee knows all, but he doesn't own a truck like yours - his is a 1984 C10 with probably the nicest 6.2 ever built. If you post in the 6.5L Turbo Diesel forum, there are a few thousand of us who will see your topic, & hopefully help. ;)

Massive amounts of FSD/PMD information was summarized in FSD, PMD, PMD, FSD -or- It's 10 pm - where is your FSD? (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005199#000000) (Click on the colored text.) This topic was preceded directly by FSD\PMD - BFD (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005013#000003) & two other long topics, which was preceded by years of trying to figure these things out.

You might want to click on "my profile" & let us know what year, etc. truck you are talking about. It's handy, because you don't have to remember to do it, it shows up at the bottom of all your posts automatically. smile.gif

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044