PDA

View Full Version : 98 sub. trouble code 236

W.C. RIMES
09-01-2004, 15:08
New member here, sure could use some help diagnosing a trouble code p0236. My scanner refers to the boost sensor circuit. The truck is a '98 sub. 6.5TD with 105,000mi. the fsd was replaced at approx 40,000mi. We were on a short trip pulling a trailer approx 3200 lbs. when I noticed it losing power and smoking (black) badly. After a few miles it would clear up and speed up only to start all over again. At this point the truck is completey stock. Any help would really be appreciated.

moondoggie
09-02-2004, 05:21
Good Day!

1st thing I'd do is get a boost gauge plumbed in to be sure what's happening. Black smoke is an almost sure sign of boost gone.

You might want to post your question on the 6.5L Turbo Diesel forum. Dr. Lee knows all, but he doesn't own a truck like yours - his is a 1984 C10 with probably the nicest 6.2 ever built. If you post in the 6.5L Turbo Diesel forum, there are a few thousand of us who will see your topic, & hopefully help. ;)

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

DA BIG ONE
09-24-2004, 00:47
Originally posted by W.C. RIMES:
New member here, sure could use some help diagnosing a trouble code p0236. My scanner refers to the boost sensor circuit. The truck is a '98 sub. 6.5TD with 105,000mi. the fsd was replaced at approx 40,000mi. We were on a short trip pulling a trailer approx 3200 lbs. when I noticed it losing power and smoking (black) badly. After a few miles it would clear up and speed up only to start all over again. At this point the truck is completey stock. Any help would really be appreciated. I ran into this problem, but it played cat and mouse with me for awhile. I had made sure the vac pump was working properly, the changed out the control solenoid, worked a short time and went south again, work again, turned out to be in the ecm "boost control", went to the mechanical boost control from Heath problem solved. At first I went to a panic mode, thinking I needed a new ecm, but no ecm needed and it has never run better than now, according to my butt dyno and gauges! I have the factory HD program.

Heath removes this boost control circuit from the ecm anyway with his upgrades using a mech boost control instead.

CleviteKid
09-24-2004, 09:20
for DA BIG ONE,

Are your ready for ANOTHER ONE, named Jeanne ? ? ?

Enuf is too much, we need a break.

Dr. Lee :eek:

Turbine Doc
09-24-2004, 13:12
WC send a note to Jim for him to fwd your email address and I'll shoot you a message with P0236 troubleshooting page from the 98 manual.

DA BIG ONE
09-25-2004, 03:19
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
for DA BIG ONE,

Are your ready for ANOTHER ONE, named Jeanne ? ? ?

Enuf is too much, we need a break.

Dr. Lee :eek: Always ready, but nature is one force that demands respect!

I have my property under contract, and hope this storm, or one behind it will not screw things up. Moving inland, maybe along the Suwannee somewhere.

Last time around, I went without FPL power for about 8 hours, genset kicked in, it turns out my property is on a FPL feeder, so when it goes down it gets fixed right away. Actually can run property off grid for upwards of a year if need be.

DA BIG ONE
09-29-2004, 12:38
I am giving my ecm boost controller circuit a long hard second look, then going to try JK's electronic boost controller.