PDA

View Full Version : 6.5l non turbo MORE POWER

GMGREEN
07-18-2005, 04:35
Hello, my 1995 GMC 1500 ext cab truck has a 5-speed MW3 trans in it. How do you get more power?
Can you put a turbo on it, new chip ,or better exhaust? I pull an old travel trailer and it's sad when you get passed by a mini van full of kids. redface.gif

G. Gearloose
07-18-2005, 04:45
Is that engine EFI or MFI?

GMGREEN
07-18-2005, 05:40
The engine is EFI

john8662
07-18-2005, 10:13
Yeah, it's turbo time.

There were a select few of these engines that didn't come with a turbo, and they were the 1500 series up to 95.

What you need to do is watch on ebay for someone to sell a complete turbo setup for the 6.5TD. Or call around to some salvage yards that have a complete pull.

You'll basically install the hardware, get yourself a mechanical boost controller from Heath www.heathdiesel.com (http://www.heathdiesel.com)

Next you'll need a single tube exhaust system to replace your current system. Luckily this is going to be easy, because you can order an exhaust system from Kennedy Diesel www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) that is 3.5" mandel bent and is complete turbo to exit pipe. But, have the exhaust system installed by an exhaust shop, but do the turbo downpipe install yourself (will save you a LOT of grief).

Then you'll need a turbo eprom from a vin F 95 model truck to replace your current eprom. This will give you the extra fuel to run the turbo.

I know, I probably made it more simple than it is here in the description. But the end result, you'll be able to adapt a turbo to that truck much easier than the 80's 6.2's (well, putting a 6.5 turbo on a 6.2 that is).

For some more advice, stroll on over to the 6.5TD forum, and post some more questions. Also, put up a want ad in the Classifieds section on this forum and see what turns up for a turbo setup.

Oh, and I almost forgot, you wanted to know how to get more power. Installing the turbo WILL get you more power. The 6.5TD in a 1500 series light truck will scoot! Has the same take off power as a vortec 5.7 350 but way more pulling torque.

joe hatfield
07-26-2005, 17:30
Originally posted by GMGREEN:
[QB] Hello, my 1995 GMC 1500 ext cab truck has a 5-speed MW3 trans in it. How do you get more power?
Can you put a turbo on it, new chip ,or better exhaust? I pull an old travel trailer and it's sad when you get passed by a mini van full of kids. as john said it is a fairly painless installation, however (upp, there's always a however :confused: ). when i converted my new (as in cheap) n/a motor to go into my 93td (blown motor) everthing bolted on just fine with the exception of the exhaust manifolds. with the additional heat produced by the td motor it seems they shrank (about 1/8th of a bolt hole). i wound up using a weed burner (avalible at any hardware store) to heat (not red hot just good and hot) the manifolds to expand them enough to fit, keep in mind the motor was out of the truck and 2 sets of hands (both equiped with a good set of welding gloves redface.gif ) were required to handle the hot manifolds and bolt them into place. and yes it will be a screamer in a little 1/2 ton :eek: :D