PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L Block Ni Content

Stage1
08-11-2005, 11:58
Dr. Lee

I am moving a post from the 6.2L page to you per a suggestion. Below is some of the previous post. Question is how to tell which 6.2L blocks have additional Ni content?

"John,

Just another thought or two, do think cylinder dial bore reading vs milage can indicate which blocks have more Ni, along w/ the previalance of cracks as you indicated. Probably machine shops that bore a lot of these block know which blocks appear to have more Ni?

Les

john8662

Member # 4560

Stage1,

How to tell if the block really a higher nickel content than the other blocks? For that I'm really not sure, but you're right in that shops that bore these blocks would probably be able to tell by the amount of boring it took on the block, as it should be harder to bore.

Another builder told me that they could physically see the difference in the color of the metal.

The caps might or might not the the same as the block metal, but they're not what breaks.

Someone who could give us a better answer on how to chemically or physically detect the higher nickle content would be Dr. Lee aka The Clevite Kid.

You might want to post a new thread under "Ask Dr. Lee" on the forum, and see what turns up!

John "

thanks,
Les

john8662
08-12-2005, 06:22
Dr. Lee,

In considering the question by Stage1, I wanted to offer a piece of an 82 block that is truely a red engine (and broken), if you have the resources to test it. I remember in the past an offer asking if anyone had a broken block that could be used to tell if it had a higher Nickel content.