PDA

View Full Version : October 11, 2003 Be there, Michigan

dmaxalliTech
08-09-2003, 20:15
Ok, the original plans of an August date are out. Going to Oct 11. It should be huge
Sending out 1500 invites to registered dmax's in MI. 1000's of dollars in giveaways. Lots of vender displays/demos. Hog roast with all the fixins, Hope to have local radio station doing a live remote to advertise it. Service specials, meet and greet with me for those of you who dont know me yet. Plan on spending the day here at least, get kicked off about 10:00 am and eat around 12:30ish. Prolly around 6:00 the party moves down the street to the 'place of good food and cold drinks' Working with local Hotels to get some special pricing for outof towners.

CT boys, you better start packing up...

Kennedy, road trip?

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-09-2003, 20:27
dmaxalliTech,

I will be there in spirit,

Gonna be out of the area, actually out in the middle of the Caribbean on a cruise ship ;) .

Maybe the next time. :D

Thanks for inviting us East Coasters, I am sure a few of us will make it out.

GMC ;)

mackin
08-10-2003, 08:24
Hi De Ho neighbor that's Columbus Day weekend ...

Rut row that's my foliage Green Mountain trip ....
Might throw a curve ball at things for me....

Mac :(

Brandenburg
08-10-2003, 10:23
I am scheduled to be best man in a wedding that day. :(

dmaxalliTech
08-10-2003, 20:45
Mack, we have foliage in MI to look at.. Brandonburg, bring the weddin party over.. who wouldnt like to smell like diesel in a tux?

GMC- gotta spare ticket, that sounds like fun. I need a vaca bad.

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-10-2003, 21:57
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
Mack, we have foliage in MI to look at.. Brandonburg, bring the weddin party over.. who wouldnt like to smell like diesel in a tux?

GMC- gotta spare ticket, that sounds like fun. I need a vaca bad. dmaxalliTech,

Only if you stop off in CT first, we got a couple tranny's for ya ta do :D .

MAC and I will split the cruise cost, gotta be cheaper for us and we get to enjoy some adult beverages with ya tongue.gif ;) .

Whadda ya think tongue.gif

GMC ;)

ratlover
08-11-2003, 11:15
Any way you could get a portable dyno? :confused: :D Can always dream right?

Place of good food and cold drinks eh? Might have to stay away from that.....the g/f gets kinda mad when I get sauced and she has to drive "the big truck" :rolleyes: Then again you guys will make sure I behave right ;) (or is that the blind leading the blind :eek: )

And if I come you guys gota promise that no matter how much I beg not to take me for a ride in a truck on the juice or any other box. I know if I do I will be hunting John down as soon as my feet hit pavement. Its hard enough to resist as is....

You going to post directions to the dealership or are they already out some place?

dmaxalliTech
08-11-2003, 11:54
GMC---hmm, road trip dont sound too bad. Will keep that idea in back of my mind..

Ratlover.. Dyno would be nice, we have talked about it, but I dont know where to get one.. not sure its gonna fit in the budget either...As far as going for a ride in a truck with boxes.. Mike Tomac will be there giving rides in a 13 second truck :eek: :eek:

We will have boxes on the table, you wont have to find Kennedy, will also have a Juice as one of the raffle prizes :D

It will be blind leading the blind LOL, you could stay the night here in town Rat.

As far as directions go...I will post the address so you can punch it up on Mapquest or similer and that will get you from your house.

Todd Wenzel Pontiac GMC
2727 28th ST
Grand Rapids, MI 49512

ratlover
08-11-2003, 12:12

......We will have boxes on the table, you wont have to find Kennedy......
This could be bad :eek: ;) :D

And if I go for a ride in Mike's rig I'm sure I will be calling BD, suncoast and the like. This could get expensive :eek: 13 second plow truck does have a nice ring to it. Every body sing.....I wana be I wana be like Mike, like Mike.....

dmaxalliTech
08-11-2003, 14:09
Rat, we can all sing togather once your here!!

Silver Bullet
08-11-2003, 20:06
...if wasn't just gettin' back from 2 weeks in Colorado hunting elk...and I had more vacation time...I would be there...

dmaxalliTech
08-11-2003, 20:32
I think I have Kennedy talked into coming so there will be alot of experience on hand for this one fella's smile.gif

MadDuraMax
08-12-2003, 15:18
dmaxalliTech,

Bow season!!! Now that's getting tough, might be able to make it for a while from 10-3 or so. I'll have to wack one in the morning and throw some vennie on the grill along with the hog.

Lots of family obligations this week (long story), I won't be able to make it over to your place. I'll try scanning the card I got and sending it to you over email.

Mark

dmaxalliTech
08-12-2003, 17:51
Mark, I got the card, going to take it in tomarrow and see how legit it is....Still havent heard of it myself.

Didnt even think about deer season. Some venison sounds good..yummmy. Hope you bag one early so you can make it over, at least for a couple hours!

Nothing in stone yet, but MAY have a dyno coming. Dont hold me to anything at this point.

3-Fan
08-13-2003, 10:30
Are us Buckeyes welcome in the state up North during football season? :D

6.5 hour drive for me, might have to make the trip to meet everyone. Sounds like it may be worth my time.

Greg

dmaxalliTech
08-13-2003, 21:08
Uh--Oh,,, I think that there may be a chassis dyno that will handle our trucks and dooly's at our little GTG :eek: :eek:

More info to come on that

MAV
08-13-2003, 22:03
If any UP'ers come down, bring some pasties. I miss those things.

No matter where I end up (WI to NC) I'll be there.

WhiteDuramax
08-13-2003, 22:13
Man, it is sounding like its gonna be a really good turnout, I am planning on coming up, the more I read the more I want to come.

dmaxalliTech
08-14-2003, 15:38
WE HAVE A DYNO LINED UP!!!
DYNO JET WILL BE HERE FOR OCT 11

Kennedy
08-15-2003, 10:13
Penciled in and looking fwd to it!

MadDuraMax
08-16-2003, 09:40
Ok,

Since it looks like it's time for proof of existance pic (ugly ones) and deer in MI (and since I learned how to post these things .. here goes

http://mail.chartermi.net/~mark356/Uglytoo.JPG

Come on Mich folks, get signed up!

Mark

dmaxalliTech
08-16-2003, 09:49
Mark,you gonna make it ?

MadDuraMax
08-16-2003, 10:40
I'll be there!!!! Been talking 'bout the bow hunting plans, looks like it shouldn't be any problems.

Mark

YZF1R
08-19-2003, 17:10
Looks like we'll be able to make it! :D

Steve

dmaxalliTech
08-21-2003, 14:34
Lodging news...

I have arranged a special discount rate for those who are traveling distance for the GTG.

Sleep Inn has agreed to give a discounted rate of $62.00 per night. The hotel is located just 1.5 miles from event sight. I have rooms reserved for both Oct 10 and 11. Hotel has a pool, jacuzzi, continental breakfast and has just been built so its nice and clean. To make a reservation, call the desk at 1-616-975-9000. Be sure to mention Todd Wenzel Event to get the special pricing. The cutoff date for our block of rooms is Sep 25th, so please try and reserve before then..

VFRRider
08-21-2003, 15:59
Any place nearby to park a 5th?? I'd rather drag the portable home along ;)

dmaxalliTech
08-21-2003, 19:33
Originally posted by VFRRider:
Any place nearby to park a 5th?? I'd rather drag the portable home along ;) There are lots of places in the area. I will have to find one that may give some special pricing...Heck, if worse comes to worse, you can park in the lot here at the dealer, we have water and power for ya.

dmaxalliTech
08-23-2003, 22:42
Update---

DHRA will be represented. I have talked with Eric McBride and he is sending some stuff with the folks bringin up the Dyno, who happens to be the division II head. Autometer has agreed to donate some stuff.. Gonna put the Scheaffer oil guy to the test, he wants to prove his products on the Dyno. Guys, I am warning ya,, you dont want to miss this event.. Its the Rendevous of the East! I hate to have to tell you all how it went instead of showing you first hand.. Email me your snail mail address to get on the mailin list for the flyers.

[ 08-27-2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: dmaxalliTech ]

Forced Induction
08-27-2003, 15:52
Count me in!! I am looking forward to see some of the fast D-maxes out there, and meet some of the guys face to face, and it sounds like a great event. I can't wait. :D

Jason

[ 08-28-2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Forced Induction ]

mtomac
08-27-2003, 21:53
If enough people are interested maybe we could start things off Friday night with some test-n-tune dragracing at Stanton or Martin.

Modified
08-29-2003, 15:17
I plan on being there Friday afternoon. It would be nice to meet the Guys I'm chattin with.

Are most of the Guy's rooming at the Sleep Inn, or are some rooming elsewhere?

dmaxalliTech
08-29-2003, 18:31
Originally posted by Modified:
Are most of the Guy's rooming at the Sleep Inn, or are some rooming elsewhere? The Sleep Inn is the "official" hotel for the event and I have arranged with them special rates for event attendee's. I hope everyone that needs lodging will take advantage of the deal. I am working to find a camp ground that is willing to deal for those with rv's.

I have lined up a few more people to show there ware's. The local paintless dent repair guy is gonna be on hand, he is first class and does very good work.

Kennedy
09-02-2003, 11:55
[QUOTE]
The local paintless dent repair guy is gonna be on hand, he is first class and does very good work. Good deal, I have a couple/two three in my hood from hail stones...

Kennedy
09-02-2003, 11:59
Originally posted by Micheal Tomac:
If enough people are interested maybe we could start things off Friday night with some test-n-tune dragracing at Stanton or Martin. Are you strapping your front end at the track too?

I'm 7660# with just me in it, and the "army crawl" of the front end bothers me...

Been wanting to see what my truck can do, but I'm thinking C4 (second gear) clutches are a little soft. Guess I'll have to hook a trailer on and wail on them a bit to see what the status is...

mtomac
09-03-2003, 09:54
I don't strap the front end at the dragstrip but I did lower the tbars all the way down. That made a big difference in the 60' times with the front tires not wanting to toe in when launching like they did with the tbars cranked up 2"

Modified
09-04-2003, 19:31
Any way we can identify us dieselpage Guys at the event or motel? We could be walking around the motel, lookin for something to do, and not realize who each other is.
Hats, T-shirts, Jerseys??? Maybe post our dieselpage names on our room doors???

dmaxalliTech
09-04-2003, 21:19
You know, I wondered the same thing myself, How about the geeky "HELLO, MY NAME IS...." tags! LOL

Might have to do something, I like the hotel idea, let me know any suggestions on that guys

MadDuraMax
09-05-2003, 14:36
Probably just have to look in the parking lot for groups of folks looking at Dmax's :D Then again a beer might be good there somewhere...

Mark

Chris Strandt
09-05-2003, 21:50
This GTG sounds great. Although I don't own a Dmax (yet), I will be making it out.

I feel a little bad attending since I have only been reading this list consistantly for a few days, and don't own a Duramax yet (plan on putting one in an H1 next year). I hope to make this a learning experience, and meet some of you Duramax guru's.

Silly question... any body know where to meet? I don't know which dealership this is at.

-Chris

dmaxalliTech
09-06-2003, 19:05
OH Duh, I forgot to mention that :rolleyes:

Event site:
Todd Wenzel Pontiac GMC
2727 28th st
Grand Rapids, MI. 49512

Todd Wenzel home page (http://www.toddwenzelpontiacgmc.com)

dmaxalliTech
09-11-2003, 18:07
Thought about breakfast sunday morning with all who spend the nite

WillowCreekStable
09-12-2003, 04:53
Hey Eric I'm looking to come but being that's a holiday weekend here in Canada I'll lose important parts of my anatomy if I don

dmaxalliTech
09-18-2003, 17:36
[quote]Originally posted by WillowCreekStable:
[b] Hey Eric I'm looking to come but being that's a holiday weekend here in Canada I'll lose important parts of my anatomy if I don

dmaxalliTech
09-21-2003, 17:31
Spoke with Discount tire, they are gonna setup a booth and offer some tire/rim specials. They will have a few sets mounted so you can see first hand what they look like instead of looking at pics. They are located right next door so it will be convienient to check out there other offerings as well
Eric

urcndust
09-22-2003, 06:23
Is pre-registration required or are walk-ins welcome?
I want to make it, but can't give a firm commitment.

dmaxalliTech
09-22-2003, 09:06
It is open for all, walk ins are more then welcome. We look forward to seeing all that can attend

Forced Induction
09-22-2003, 17:03
Discount tires sounds great. I have been thinking about new tires anyway. I hope thay have what I want. I am even thinking about asking Kennedy to bring me a 5" exhaust system, but I may just wait and drive to his shop to check it out, after the dyno is ready of course, hehehehe. I hope I can get on the dyno at the GTG with my weak truck and find a place to park. I will also be attending the drag race in WI the week before, but I don't think my 14.80's will hold up. John, will you be attending that race at Great Lakes Dragaway??

Looking forward to the GTG.

Jason A.

dmaxalliTech
09-22-2003, 17:32
Jason, mike tomac was thinking of getting togather with all who are there on Fri night and heading to drag strip for some testntune, its only about 1/2 hour from event site, Might be something to consider...

Forced Induction
09-23-2003, 04:05
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I am thinking I should drive there Friday afternoon to avoid some of the traffic around the Chicago area anyway. I will have to go back thru your post on the hotel in the area that you suggested. Keep us posted if its a go with Mike, and/or anything else.

Thanks,

Jason

dmaxalliTech
09-25-2003, 18:38
Its getting closer!! Just a little over 2 weeks away! Have you all made plans to attend? Got your room reserved?

YZF1R
09-25-2003, 18:57
Yep! :D

Steve

Kennedy
09-25-2003, 19:11
So long as my shop/dyno project doesn't need babysat...

mtomac
10-01-2003, 05:59
US131 Motorsports Park in Martin is closed in Oct and Mid Michigan Motorplex in Stanton only has T-N-T on Wed & Sunday in Oct. If anyone is interested we could head up there on Sunday the 12th the day after Diesel Day. They have T-N-T from 10am-4pm. $15 to race, $8 to watch. If anyone is interested let me know.

Modified
10-06-2003, 17:41
dmaxalliTech,

Any suggestions how to get there from here?
For all the people coming up through Chicago on 94, at Benton Harbor, should we :

go north on 196 to highway 11 in Grand Rapids,
or
go east on 94 to Kalamazoo, then north on 131 to highway 11 in Grand Rapids.

I'm looking to avoid heavy traffic, and realize going a longer distance could be quicker. It's hard to tell by looking at a map.
Thanks for any input.

dmaxalliTech
10-06-2003, 18:29
Ok guys, Just a recap of everything planned. We have a Dyno coming from Diesel Performance Motorsports. David Dunbar is one of the high ups with the DHRA and he is operating the dyno. He is bringing some DHRA merchandise. We also have GHI, a local accessory company that has outfitted one of our trucks with a vast array of bolt ons. Scheaffer oil company will be represented by Jim Clark, a local distributer. He has donated 30 gallons of their premium diesel oil so some will be getting free oil changes. He will also be demonstrating his other products as well. Discount tire has agreed to set up some tire/wheel packages to give an idea whats avail first hand for our trucks and you can touch them instead of looking at pics on the internet. Holland Snowplow and supply will be in with some plow stuff, they are also a Line-x installer. There will be a first class paintless dent removal guy on hand to assist you with your imperfections. Henderson Glass will be on hand doing stone chip repairs. John Kennedy is scheduled to come and show off a vast array of power adders and what not. His attendence at this point is up in the air due to his dyno project. So far, looks like a good selection of prizes for the drawings.. A complete deep pan kit including Transynd, oil filters, fuel filters, Gauge kits, complete vehicle details, service work, including oil changes, fuel filter changes, and other maint. Also will have grape juice w/ vent cap, and lots of accessories for your truck.. Other venders on hand may donate some that we dont know of yet.. It is VERY possible that a juice/attitude combo will make its way to the prize table!

The food arrangment is also nearly complete. Morning will include krispy cream donuts, coffee and hot chocolate. Lunch will be pig, hot dogs, potato salad and more.. Water and soda pop to drink. Once dark hits, its hard to run the dyno, so we plan to get the dyno fired up and run it till dark and maybe stop for a brief time in the mid afternoon to do the prize drawings. After dark, I invite all to stay and join us at BW3's, a sports bar/resturant just 1/2 mile down the road. I would really enjoy getting to talk to all of you on an individual basis!
If anybody has any suggestions or ideas that might help make the event fun for everyone, please dont hesitate to let me know. I want to make sure that the party in Montana gets a run for its money!( No offense MP, just trying to match your good attendence record and loyalty smile.gif )

Dont forget to contact the Sleep Inn asap if still needing lodging.

616-975-9000 I have set aside a few more rooms so there are some available for last minute folks

Thanks a million to all who plan to attend

Eric

dmaxalliTech
10-06-2003, 18:37
Originally posted by Modified:
dmaxalliTech,

Any suggestions how to get there from here?
For all the people coming up through Chicago on 94, at Benton Harbor, should we :

go north on 196 to highway 11 in Grand Rapids,
or
go east on 94 to Kalamazoo, then north on 131 to highway 11 in Grand Rapids.

I'm looking to avoid heavy traffic, and realize going a longer distance could be quicker. It's hard to tell by looking at a map.
Thanks for any input. Tough call but would depend on time of day your coming through.. Generally 196 would be quicker then 131. Both highways have construction on them but If I am not mistaken, 196 will be shut down for a short distance and a detour must be taken through Hudsonville. Of course they have to do this on our weekend! 131 has been undergoing constuction for what seems like forever just south of GR, but both lanes are usually open on the weekends..traffic can be very thick on Friday night on 131 when you get into town. I dont think that 196 will be closed until sat/sun. If you come Fri, come up 196, if sat, 131.

JERMCK
10-12-2003, 15:31
This was the first diesel event I have ever attended. Really enjoyed meeting several of the members from here face to face. Met a lot of genuine, good people. Saw alot of awesome looking trucks. Wish mine had some of the accessories I saw.

Eric, thank you for putting on an awesome event for us.

MAV
10-12-2003, 16:21
Ditto!! It was a great time. I wish I could have seen everyones truck up close.

Hey Jermck....how'd my exhuast sound under that railroad tressel?? What?? Huh?? :eek: I could see you grinning in my mirrors.

dmaxalliTech
10-12-2003, 17:19
Well, I want to thank each and every one of you personally for coming. Thanks to JK for coming and setting up some stuff for us, It was a pleasure to meet you in person. A good guy all around. Fun to joke with somebody you never met!! I hope to get over your way someday soon!

I suppose the day went off pretty good. I will just have to remember to not let Tomac line up on the dyno first! The burn out show helped alittle but not enough room for a good one. I hope everybody enjoyed them selves and I hope you will all come back next time. We meet tomarrow morning to start plans on the next event. This way everything is fresh in our minds. Please make comments on what you would like to see different or what you liked as we will use them when planning for next spring. We will be much more organized then, I promise! Hopefully those of you that got some pics can post/link them as I personally didnt get any, way too busy. I hope I got to meet all of you that were there, I have to be honest, I cant remember everyone but had lots of good conversations. We truly are a special group of people brought togather by soot!!

Thanks a million to all!!
Eric

urcndust
10-13-2003, 05:44
I had a great time Eric. Thanks to you and the dealership for putting this on. I know it was expensive, but I appreciated it and will be back. It is too bad the dyno broke, but some things one has no control over. I have to admit, I felt like I was running around naked, since I was bone stock and 2 WD, but you all talked to me anyway. Next spring I'm confident I'll have a box for a little more power for towing. Great bunch of guys and enjoyed talking to you all.
Thanks again,
Tom

tysmith
10-13-2003, 10:12
There may not have been enough room for a good long burnout, but BlueOx03 was the ONLY Dmax to get up there and light 'em up.

Great time. Great people.

Ty

JERMCK
10-13-2003, 17:00
Hey Mav,

The exhaust sounded awesome. I am seriously thinking about straight piping mine. I know the wife will go nuts though.

She'll get over it....

YZF1R
10-14-2003, 14:10
Eric, we had a great time. Thanks to all who made it possible. It was good to meet everyone. When Joan and I were watching Micheal Tomac on the dino she said two things right away. First, "Wow, that is really neat." About three seconds later, "Your not going to do that with your truck are you?" Hehe. :D

We would love to come out again next year and are looking foward to it!

Steve

Idle_Chatter
10-15-2003, 04:30
Thanks to you and the dealership for really rolling out the red carpet, Eric. It was a good time well worth the drive, even if Tomac did break the dyno. Good to meet old and new DMax friends and trade stories, poke around underhood and kick tires. I finally got my pictures of the event up on my Yahoo photo site. they are available in the PICS link in my sig in the Durmax Day folder. Thanks again.

JERMCK
10-16-2003, 20:46
Idle_Chatter,

Would you please send me the specifics on the nuts and bolts for the inner fender we talked about. My e-mail is jermck@aol.com. Thanks