PDA

View Full Version : what gear to pull in?

bgsmoke
08-16-2003, 16:16
i've pulled 4 times so far,and had 3- 1st. 1- 2nd. i've got an 03 cc sb edge125 and prop.I pull in 3rd on the low side.I see some of you pull in low on the high side.Isn't that too much stress on the trans,and transfer case?And how do you keep the wheels from faceing each other?

WhiteDuramax
08-17-2003, 12:29
bg, Hi, I pull in Hi-range and put the shifter in 1st, I actually think it would be less stress since you arent trying to make the tranny shift under that much load, my tires light up right off the line all the way to the finish, as long as they are spinning you are alright. To do this, you need to powerbrake it to build 10lbs of boost and then hammer down and let off the brake at the same time, I pulled in Lo range once and never will again, hi range pulls so much better. I use ratchet straps (tomac style) on the front center steering link to keep the tires from toeing in. If you search under "pulling" in the drivetrain forum, you will find a thread about pulling with many pics on it.

heartbeatcanada
08-17-2003, 15:19
Ya i pull in 4hi and 1st as well, with the hot juice and predator stacked. Next pull i might try 4hi and 2nd as i will have the 215quad possibly stacked with the tranny deystroyer, and a e-locker up front, so i'm hoping i have more power and wheel speed for the taller gear, i hope. :confused:

Have seen alot of ford and dodge and a few chev guys going threw the gears and they seem to loose so much momentum when upshifting and downshifting, maybe thats why i seem to be doing pretty good in the pulls. I as well us the straps up front like tomac and whiteduramax and haven't had a problem with the tires fighting each other, like i have seen on other dmaxs.

The biggest problem i have is traction, which hopefully the e-locker fixes a good percentage of that, now that i have way more power on tap. :eek: Later and good luck Jeremy smile.gif

BowTieDmax
08-17-2003, 16:25
I"ve pulled in Hi range since last year and its the only way to go. Are biggest hold back is not having a manual valve body or something to lock the allison in 2nd. I've tried everything I could including using a tech 2 and putting it in 2nd but no luck. There is not a shortage of power but without the extra wheel speed of 2nd we are not going to beat the "big boy cummins"( the very unstreetable ones) all the rest are easy.
I've been stacking the quad215 and hot juice (level 2) with no problem. We just need more speed. I am going to spend some time on the phone in the next couple of days with some of the tranny builders to look for help.

mtomac
08-18-2003, 10:22
1st gear high range, I've never pulled in any other gear. If you have a quad box with the extra rpm, 3rd gear low range and locking the converter might be tempting.

WhiteDuramax
08-20-2003, 20:44
Well, I sure am missing my truck still, but my buddy pulled yesterday with my hot VA box, he had plenty of power and tons of wheel speed, but couldnt seem to get much ground speed going. The track was hard, but tires were aired up and weight was in the cab. Another duramax, pulled in low and was shifting between 2nd and 3rd the whole way down the track still beat him, it looked to have a juice by the amount of smoke. As soon as I get my truck back I will be tryin out the VA with hanging weights to see what happens.