PDA

View Full Version : Lift Pump Volume

Basshopper
06-30-2005, 19:25
Does anybody know if there is a factory spec on how much volume in how much time for a lift pump to fill a container of fuel??? Engine off Key on. Thanks

JohnC
07-01-2005, 07:18
Originally posted by Basshopper:
Does anybody know if there is a factory spec on how much volume in how much time for a lift pump to fill a container of fuel??? Engine off Key on. Thanks Short answer, "Yes".

There is a pressure spec and a volume spec. There are 2 different pumps. I believe one is for the mechanical pumps and the other is for the electronic pumps. The mechanical one makes more pressure, probably because of the pump housing pressure requirement.

It was not clear to me whether the volume spec was measured at rated pressure or an open line, and I can't remember the numbers...

jjbouwens
07-01-2005, 07:47
My 1996 manual says under Fuel Lift Pump Flow Check:
1. Remove ECM1 Fuse
2.Disconnect pipe af fuel outlet of pump
3.Install hose andone quart container
4. Crank engine: Fuel flow 1/2 pint in 15 seconds or .24 liter if you prefer metrick

1996 P30

JohnC
07-01-2005, 08:28
OK, that means it's tested at the pressure of the pump relief valve. A good test, IMHO. (That works out to 15 gallons/hour, BTW)

My recollection is that the early pump pressure is about 6-8 PSI and the later one 4-6 PSI.

Basshopper
07-01-2005, 11:39
Thanks for the info and help, I guess I know what I will be testing this holiday weekend.