PDA

View Full Version : Oct 18th Dyno event in MN

Amianthus
10-01-2003, 04:35
Some of us malcontent yahoo's on the TDR are having a Dyno event in Saint Louis Park, MN on Saturday October 18th. I would like to take this opportunity to cordially invite you guys to attend. This event is open to all makes (as it should be). I don't know what there will be for refreshments, but who goes to these things for that. I'm hoping to catch up with Matt, maybe Kennedy (if he's not too busy), and definately Al from the DP. If any of the other GM contingent is available, I hope you will make it.

The thread on the TDR is http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=736870#post736870 for your reference. If you guys have any questions, feel free to drop me a line. Hope to see you there.

Aron

Kennedy
10-01-2003, 05:15
What kind of dyno?

Right after Grand Rapids is no biggie, and we should be watching the concrete cure here by then.

Been learning a LOT about dynos as of late...

Forms are being set for my frost walls as I type...

Jelisfc
10-01-2003, 05:44
Let us know what time everyone will be around. Looks like I'm tied up until noon. The wife is out of town so I can't run since I'll have the kids and have some sort of soccer day thing going on but wouldn't mind dropping by to meet up with whoever goes.

Thanx,
Steve

SoMnDMAX
10-01-2003, 08:33
smile.gif

Unless the bottom falls out, I'll be there.

roegs
10-01-2003, 09:07
I'd like to possibly go as well. I read the other threads, but am a little confused on the location. Is it St Louis Park, or Ramsey?

SoMnDMAX
10-01-2003, 11:29
Scott, it looks like Hi-Tech in Ramsey.

Aron, can you ask Josh what they have for a dyno?

MAV
10-02-2003, 07:43
Matt,
Get some directions to this place from the Twin Cities off 94 please and post em'

SoMnDMAX
10-02-2003, 09:52
Jeff,

This MAP (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=13915+RADIUM+ST.%2C+SUITE+C&city=ramsey&state=mn&zipcode=55303&homesubmit=Get+Map) should get you to the place. Take I-94 west to I-694 north, then I-35W north to US Hwy 10 west. Take HWY 10 west to Sunfish Lake BLVD in Ramsey, go north. Looks like there's an access road just past the tracks, take a right. Go until you reach Radium street, take a left (north). Should be on the left. See the map.

Hi Tech Motorsports
13915 Radium St Nw
Ramsey, MN

Now- no guarantees this is the right place. Should be though. I'm sure more details will surface as the event day gets closer.

Matt

Amianthus
10-02-2003, 10:50
It's a Dynojet dyno in Ramsey. He hasn't seen any big numbers on that dyno yet. I'm hoping to surprise him. The exhaust is vented to the dyno "room" and 30,000 cfm exhaust fan(s) removes the smoke. We're hoping for around 20 trucks to run. With that many the price of $50 per truck should come down. I talked to Josh about it and he is hoping to include lunch in that $50.

Now for the bad news. Dynojets aren't great for measuring our diesels. The load on the engine is always under the turbo spool. So the readings you'll get will be a bit low. However, if you want to test and tune, the Dynojet is hard to beat for repeatability. I think he said the roller is about 1500 lbs. I think my A/C has more load. But we'll find out.

I asked if the truck owner can run their own trucks. No problem. I feel it's better this way. Each truck is different, and each owner has their own limitations, so rather than have the owner of the dyno inadvertantly break something, the risk of damage will lie solely with the owner of the vehicle.

If you guys have any questions, let me know. We are looking for a head count for sure. See ya there.

SoMnDMAX
10-02-2003, 21:08
Aron, count me in. I'll be there. May bring two others along, one Dmax, one 12v Dodge. I'll let you know if the other guys want to go.

Jeff, you coming over?

Amianthus
10-03-2003, 05:05
I got some more complete information on the dyno. The roller is a 4,000 lb. unit. It's brand new. He's got a 15,000 cfm exhaust unit. Not 30,000 cfm. We won't be setting any records on his dyno though. The highest he's had on it is 820+ HP. Sorry guys. There are only a few who have taken a P/U diesel that far. However, we could set the torque record. I think the highest was around 800 ft-lbs. That should be easy to break.

It will be $50 for two runs. The hook ups will be wherever you want on the vehicle. He recommends using the axle (obviously), but if your axle is too busy to take it, he can put them on the frame. He figures that we should be able to get around 3 trucks an hour on it. If you want to do more runs, it will be $25 a hit.

If you guys have more questions, let me know. I'll do the best I can. Catch ya later.

Aron

Minn-kota
10-03-2003, 09:52
Hmmmm. Just got the Quad and gauges installed and this looks tempting. I only have the 110HP version and know I won't be setting any records, but it would be fun to see how it measures up to it's projected numbers. Plus, Ramsey is probably just over an hour from me so I might have to take a little drive to watch and/or run the truck.

Amianthus
10-07-2003, 11:32
Just a quick update. The event might be starting a little earlier. Around 8:00am. Reason being that we need to get as many trucks done as possible. And there are 20+ trucks right now. Not to mention, we don't want to run too far into our grilling and bench racing time at Josh's.

I'll keep you posted.

Kennedy
10-07-2003, 11:39
I don't know....

With guys putting down 540's (Duramax) with just stacked boxes and stock tranny at 2/3 throttle on PDR's dyno :rolleyes: I wouldn't want to be embarassed... tongue.gif

SoMnDMAX
10-07-2003, 15:32
Originally posted by kennedy:
I don't know....

With guys putting down 540's (Duramax) with just stacked boxes and stock tranny at 2/3 throttle on PDR's dyno :rolleyes: I wouldn't want to be embarassed... tongue.gif :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Amianthus
10-08-2003, 10:12
Originally posted by kennedy:
I don't know....

With guys putting down 540's (Duramax) with just stacked boxes and stock tranny at 2/3 throttle on PDR's dyno :rolleyes: I wouldn't want to be embarassed... tongue.gif Yeah, me too. I might as well just not bother to run, if that's the competition I'm up against.

Kennedy
10-09-2003, 18:55
...could be IMPERIAL HP :D

SoMnDMAX
10-09-2003, 21:06
Yeah, that's the ticket... Yeah... (In my best Jon Lovitz voice)... tongue.gif

Minn-kota
10-13-2003, 05:17
SoMNDmax - You heading through Hutch on the way up on Saturday? I read over on TDR in that link above that some other guys were thinking of meeting in Silver Lake. We could have us a little convoy (rockin through the night).

JERMCK
10-13-2003, 17:08
SoMnDmax, I'm sending you one of your CB brackets in stainless steel. I gave Kennedy one in Grand Rapids to bring to you in St Louis Park.

SoMnDMAX
10-13-2003, 22:21
Minn-kota, don't know for sure yet. If you would, please drop me an e-mail. Nice reference to the movie Convoy!!!

Fits nicely with what JERMCK brought up. Thanks for the bracket! I forgot all about it.

This is SoMnDMAX 10/10 on the side... :D

Who's all going from here? I'll be there with my '03 (look out Amianthus :eek: ;) ), bringing a friend with an '02 D/A along, MAV is going to be there, who else? :cool:

MAV
10-14-2003, 03:13
I'm there..... "Dude". :D

Oh ya...10-4 good buddy. Chicken coops are all locked up and nobody home so you can put the hammer down.!! ;)

Minn-kota
10-14-2003, 04:59
Yeah but there might be a bear in the air. Hit the gates doin' 98 I said let them truckers roll, 10-4.

SoMnDMAX - lmitout@yahoo.com

SoMnDMAX
10-14-2003, 05:45
http://www.stlouisdumptrucks.com/pictures__2_21_03_008.jpg

Amianthus
10-14-2003, 06:53
Here's a link for some more information. Don't mind the $50 and one run. It's $50 for two runs. And $25 to hook up and run again (one run). The best part is going to be the spread at Josh's place afterward. Shmoozing and bench racing with a bunch of Diesel Heads. What could be better.

http://amianthus.home.sprynet.com/DYNO.doc

Aron

Amianthus
10-20-2003, 04:05
And here I thought you guys would have a couple of pages of how the Bowties beat the Rams by now... :D

MAV
10-20-2003, 04:50
We do Aron.....well almost.

It was nice meeting you. Too bad the twin turbos didn't do as well as you hoped.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007020

SoMnDMAX
10-20-2003, 08:22
Originally posted by Amianthus:
And here I thought you guys would have a couple of pages of how the Bowties beat the Rams by now... :D Naw, we won this time. May not be that way the next time. It was all in good fun, so there's no sense gloating too much...

Get a dyno that will properly load your twins, and I'll almost guarantee the Bowties wouldn't have won.

Good to see you again Aron, we'll see ya at the next dyno event.. :cool:

Kennedy
10-20-2003, 09:23
Originally posted by SoMnDMAX:

Get a dyno that will properly load your twins, and I'll almost guarantee the Bowties wouldn't have won.

:cool: Should have that one covered before the calendar changes year...