PDA

View Full Version : Hood louver panels.

Steve O.
11-27-2004, 10:16
Came across these in an off-road magazine last night.

www.raceace.com (http://www.raceace.com)

Looks like an easy way to vent heat from the engine bay without huge expense.

Of course, its a love it or hate it look. I never liked them as a pure decorative look on some hot rods, but this "panel" look,in black, for my money, may not be bad on the hood of my truck. Sort of industrial looking, but totally functional for some of the obvious heat related problems we're always talking about here.

Steve

ace58
11-27-2004, 13:35
Nice looking truck. Where in Mass. are you located?

Steve O.
11-27-2004, 13:43
Thanks. I'm in Framingham, by way of the North Shore.

Are you local? Check out the Dyno Day thread. About a dozen guys have committed so far. Should be a good time.

Steve

ace58
11-28-2004, 13:01
I will check out the thread. I am in Walpole and am nearing the completion of a motor swap, and upgrades, to a 99 Suburban.

Steve O.
11-28-2004, 19:50
I went through a motor swap last year (had a shop do it) after the crank let go at 120,000 miles and less than eight weeks after I bought the truck. I took advantage of the situation too and made some of the standard upgrades at the same time.

Good luck,

Steve

nvmtnlion
11-29-2004, 08:22
Those are great looking! My rig is silver and black two-tone so the black ones would look great. I wonder what the disadvantages are to these things?

G. Gearloose
11-29-2004, 09:18
I'm interested in the fender one, for more cold air into the fender plenum. Maybe It'll suck in less sand, too.

Anyone familiar with the <97 airbox, I added epoxy to the outside of the part where it really necks down. After hardening, then I could get real agressive with the rotery tool and open up the inlet to the filter.

Then I smoothed the downstram passages, and rounded the inside lip of the turbo inlet.

I think It made a healthy difference.

Steve O.
11-29-2004, 11:37
"I wonder what the disadvantages are to these things?"

That's really my big question. Is there (looks aside) a reason NOT to use something like this? The only thing I can think of would be water getting back into the engine and affecting harnesses. But it seems like that is probably a small chance based on direction, airflow, and the size of the louvers.

The other question involves what lies under the hood insulation in terms of bracing and support that could be compromised. I hated taking those off as they never seem to go back on as good, but I may take a look tonight anyway.

Steve