PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Clatter & Pinging or SOMETHING

EscaladeDiesel
11-28-2004, 00:58
My engine seems to run fine, at idle its very smooth and no unusual noise, albeit a little louder than I remember.

When driving tonight, without the sound-system blaring, I listened to then engine almost deafening "clacking" & "clatter", what I would describe as a horrible case of "pinging" if it were a gas vehicle. Then engine has good power, can hear a strong turbo whine, no smoke, good oil pressure & stays cool. As I was driving, I started changing the throttle pressure and speed to see/hear what would happen. Under 2000 rpm at 55-60 mph the clatter is not that objectionable, but once you go over 2000 rpm its almost as if a switch is hit and the "clatter machine" turns on. When you release the throttle, all is quite & smooth, but once you hit the throttle again you get a burst of clatter then it settles down, but not much. I also had a weird phenomenon of the engine or IP acting like the trans has shifted into overdrive, yet the rpm's stayed that same, but the vibration and clatter reduce. Is my IP about to explode, is there a bad injector(s), bad line(s)is it something other than the IP?

I did notice that two of the injector lines seem to be touching on the pass side, seems one of the mechanics lost some of the brackets on the right side that hold the lines into place, is this critical should I place some sort of insulator between the two lines?

Dang I wish there was a mechanic in the Dallas Ft Worth area I could trust to look at it and diagnose it properly (and at a reasonable cost would be nice) Cant afford to get stranded while on the freeway with this Suburban again.

[ 11-28-2004, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: EscaladeDiesel ]

Peter J. Bierman
11-28-2004, 07:23
First, have all the mounting brackets installed, if not you might risk damaging the lines.
Second, if the fuel lines make contact with the valve covers they can produce a lot off noise like you discribe.

I would try insulating the lines first and see ( hear ) what happens before you start spending $.

Good luck, Peter

catmandoo
11-28-2004, 07:42
with what you say of it acting like it goes into overdrive yet rpm's aren't affected,sounds like the cold advance ,this could also cause the loud clatter.

EscaladeDiesel
11-28-2004, 10:01
Would the cold advance explain the now touchy throttle too?

I had a similar "touchy throttle), only much worse, when I had my 1995 k2500. It was under warranty and they replaced some component I will have to look at my receipts from 5 or 6 years ago.

Is there an adjustment I can do on the cold advance?

I have been probing around and the best I can figure (no mechanic here)is that the abnormally loud "clatter" is coming from the pump and/or the lines on the right side, its definitely high on the engine and the "clatter" seems to follow the vibrations I feel in the lines and over the entire truck for that matter.

catmandoo
11-28-2004, 10:45
i don't know how these elec pumps control the cold advance,like the old mech ones.i know when my cold adv is on the throttle is alot touchier on mine anyway.

EscaladeDiesel
11-28-2004, 11:23
Is driving it going to damage something?

I forgot to mention I have been using an additive TKS diesel fuel power boost, could this be causing an increase in "clatter"?

eracers999
11-29-2004, 05:22
You need to check the coolant temp sensor.
The sensor is located on your water manifold.
Unplugged or broken wire or bad connection will cause the the pcm to think its -40 and will advance the pump timing full.
Kent

GARY PAGE
11-29-2004, 17:47
10-4 to Kent, Advanced Timing due to false temp sensor....Short it an see if noise goes away....

Paul Amestoy
12-01-2004, 21:47
This has been happening to me also...When I hit a specific rmp and throttle position the RMPs increase just bit...I think it is the torque lock..but then the trottle is really touchy and if I hit a specific point I loose complete RPMS then back to full when the trottle position changes.... I will try and short out the temp sensor and see what happens

EscaladeDiesel
12-01-2004, 22:00
Hey Paul, I see we have similar Suburban's.
I soooo wish I had your gear ratio, did yours come that way from the factory, thought they all had 4:10's like mine?
I can with fairly high certainty says its not my transmission, as it is definitely something to do with IP, as the "regular" engine noise stays pretty much constant, its the "IP" clatter that changes and speeds up and down.

Can you give me step by step instructions where to locate and how ya do the test/short-out the temp sensor, Anyone?

[ 12-02-2004, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: EscaladeDiesel ]

Paul Amestoy
12-02-2004, 09:00
gears were special order... I will work on my end and take some pics.... I thought I was the only one who was looking for a good diesel mechanic.... I just associated it to living in california where it is easier to get an electric car mechanic than a diesel one smile.gif

P

EscaladeDiesel
12-02-2004, 09:13
I lived in Glendale for 4 years till 2 years ago actually purchased my Suburban while I was living there...I used Communnity Chevrolet in Burbank, but they weren't so great, I also used Mark Christopher in Ontario, as they have a large fleet service department, but it was a bit of a drive. I have a Mercedes Diesel Mechanic who treated me well, if you need one of those ever <grin>.