PDA

View Full Version : Wipers Rattle???

GMC Hauler
01-14-2006, 15:49
Anyone else here have they're wipers rattle when they move? The wipers move fine, but they make a rattling noise when they move. I'd like some experience here before I throw money into it.

Dihrdbowti
01-14-2006, 17:34
Mine make kind of screeching sound and skip across the window until there is enough water on it. I have replaced the blades and they last about a month or so before they start again. I read somewhere that if you clean the blades with rubbing alcohol it helps to reduce the screech.

a5150nut
01-14-2006, 18:03
Mine was skipping on the windshield. This time I replaced the entire blade, suport & wiper, not the arm. Works good now.

DmaxMaverick
01-14-2006, 18:43
Originally posted by Dihrdbowti:
Mine make kind of screeching sound and skip across the window until there is enough water on it. I have replaced the blades and they last about a month or so before they start again. I read somewhere that if you clean the blades with rubbing alcohol it helps to reduce the screech. Buff the glass with polish (not glass cleaner). The best stuff I've seen was a powder used with water. I don't know what the brand name is, and haven't seen it in many years, but it was good stuff. I've heard of toothpaste (paste, not gel) giving similar results.

Bnave95
01-15-2006, 00:37
I'v always used Rain-X. The draw back is the first wipe seems to smear alittle.
Night time driving in the rain though is a blast,don't even use wipers at speeds.
Also use it on head lights,fog lights.
Note on head lights; Does that stuff work(what ever they call it) that is put on the lens to clear the hase and make it clearer.
Can't seem to fine anything to make it clearer other than buying new.
Had to replace the parking lamp on driver side(Deer) and ended up buying one for pass. side.
What a difference one new lamp looked like compaired to the old one.

gmenor
01-15-2006, 05:29
For the head lights and turn signals I used rubbing compound and buffed them out. Looks brand new.

Bnave95
01-15-2006, 05:39
Thats what I have been doing. Not sure about new though,might be as good as it gets.
More rubbing might be in order.

B Lake
01-17-2006, 14:15
My wipers were on backwards and rattled. Look at the back side of the arm, the side you see when sitting in the seats. There is a D or P stamped there. D for driver's side P for passenger.

When on correctly, the wipers sit square to the glass. They don't chatter nearly as badly.

I'm not pulling your leg about this. It's worth a look.

GMC Hauler
02-05-2006, 05:39
Originally posted by B Lake:
My wipers were on backwards and rattled. Look at the back side of the arm, the side you see when sitting in the seats. There is a D or P stamped there. D for driver's side P for passenger.

When on correctly, the wipers sit square to the glass. They don't chatter nearly as badly.

I'm not pulling your leg about this. It's worth a look. I finally checked... They are on the correct side.

I took the arm just above the point where it conects into the cowl and moved it back and forth. At the tip of the wiper arm, it moved 1.5 to 2 inches up and down the winshield. There is definitely play in the system, but I don't know how much is acceptable. Could someone with good wipers do the same test and see how much the wiper moves?

tommac95
02-08-2006, 11:46
I'll check mine later. I bought a new [well, from a wrecking yard--fresher than mine] set of the arms that connect to the motor and wiper spindles.
Mine are noisy when dry or lube-free. There's provision for stroke position/adjustment . If neglected too long, i think they decouple when attempting to overcome icing....

Dvldog8793
02-08-2006, 12:38
Howdy
My wipers like to lift off the windshield at speeds above 120mph...Wait that's in the GTO ;)

Used to have wiper problems like those described and switched to Bosch premium wipers. NO problems now. I also change wipers annual, no sense risking poor vision for $15.00
L8r
Conley

Bnave95
02-10-2006, 08:29
Bosch premium wipers. NO problems now---

They are the Best ;)

TJ
02-10-2006, 08:39
Probably the best....

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2838&location_id=65&go=SearchtricoPopular

TJ

tommac95
02-10-2006, 19:47
>>how much the wiper moves....

Mine is about the same , about 1-3/4". I consider that excessive; on mine there was lotsa rust on the threads for adjusting wiper arc, and i think the play seemed between the ballstud drive and the dimpled parallel plates that receive the torque. I got new parts, but a dab of grease on the drive linkage (under cowl grill) quieted adequately that i've not pursued cure further.

ol9465er
02-11-2006, 07:56
GMC Hauler...

I have the same issue as tom mac 95; wiper arms under the intake cowl have excessive wear. I have greased them (couple of times) which has quieted however it still rattles under light rain conditions (under steady to heavy no issue). I have tried the cleaners for the blades also, same result, works for while but streaks. I feel the real problem are the arms, with the bushing being worn (excessive play). I think the combination between play and low rain allows the blades to jump causing the rattle or vibration. So far I have been procrastinating changing though - I need do this to be sure. Please advise your success/outcome.

GMC Hauler
02-11-2006, 10:08
Originally posted by tom mac 95:
>>how much the wiper moves....

Mine is about the same , about 1-3/4". I consider that excessive; on mine there was lotsa rust on the threads for adjusting wiper arc, and i think the play seemed between the ballstud drive and the dimpled parallel plates that receive the torque. I got new parts, but a dab of grease on the drive linkage (under cowl grill) quieted adequately that i've not pursued cure further. I took off the cowl this morning and discovered exactly what you said: excessive play in the ballstud and the dimpled parallel plates. I did add some grease and tightened them a bit, but there is still some play. Where did you get a new ballstud?

tommac95
02-11-2006, 14:47
I'm sorry--i bought a new set of something like "wiper transmission arms" [been painting today and head full of solvents, maybe/probably wrong term] at a wonderful auto wrecking yard upstate NY, forget name. The ballstud may be part of the wiper motor mechanism, rather than the 'transmission arms'. If so, some good old auto parts {probably not most new chainstores} stock little ballstud assemblies that i think are part of legacy fuel linkage arrangements.(??) I could check at a nearby store if you forward ball diameter, might suffice(??)

tommac95
02-13-2006, 19:37
One other thing:
The screws on the psgr side securing the cowl vent need sealant, or a little rainwater will dribble down thru heater on psgr floor.

Head clearer now--Mcmaster-Carr Supply has ballstuds for throttle linkages. An autoelectric rebuilder might be willing to part with a wiper driveshaft....

I was thinking i could probably just snug the fastening that holds the parallel plates together.Mine was so rusted i got a new setup because i didn't think the nut would rotate free of shaft.