PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L AFE intake

TJ
01-29-2006, 17:01
I tried installing the new AFE Stage 2 intake on the 98 tonight. But, it doesn't fit!! It looks like I'm going to have to drill a hole in the fender and do some other mods. Anybody else run into this problem?

Thanks,
TJ

atom_c
01-29-2006, 19:34
Seems like there would be only two reasons you would have a problem. Either you recieved the wrong product or your turbo inlet is not the "normal" distance from the fenderwall. The center of my turbo inlet is about 15" from the fenderwall. The PDF file on Kennedy's site for the AFE stage 2 shows a couple inches of clearance between the filter and fenderwall. I managed to stuff in an even wider AFE filter on my intake. Click on the link in my signature to see pictures. Good luck.

bbudus
01-29-2006, 21:29
I concur, my AFE went in with no problems. I love actually being able to hear the turbo spool up. Nice!! Good luck.

Bbudus

TJ
01-30-2006, 11:37
Both of you have pre-97 trucks with the old style intakes. The AFE intake will work perfectly on your style of truck. 97 and up models are slightly different. I'm working with Michael Cain at AFE currently to come up with a solution. I know I can modify the system to work. However, a high dollar direct fit intake system should not require this.

TJ

TJ
01-31-2006, 11:14
Fits Good Eh?

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8345/im0009362mx.jpg

BUZZ
01-31-2006, 16:38
Show us more TJ, that engine compartment looks nice.
Buzz

tbogemirep
01-31-2006, 20:55
TJ while you are working it out with them, be sure to remind them about 97+ S engine trucks need a provision for the MAF sensor as well.

Digressing a little Buzz were you an E or M; when did you go through the pipeline at GLakes I was a Scott plankowner 81-85, and at Lakes Jan 80 thru Feb 81

gmenor
02-01-2006, 01:24
Ran into the same problem as you. I ended up intalling the intake tube going from the inside of the air filter box to the out side. Lined up perfectly.

BUZZ
02-01-2006, 03:21
Hey Tim
I was a GSE i the mighty Navy.
Boot camp Oct of 82 and went thru the GS pipeline and left for the fleet in Feb of 84.
First ship was the USS Crommlin FFG 37 in Long Beach. 1 West Pac.
1986 swapped to The Elrod FFG 55 in Charleston. med cruise. Left the Navy in 88.
I have never regretted going in, staying in or getting out. All in all, Navy is one of the better experiences of my life, gave me a career.
Buzz

TJ
02-01-2006, 06:12
Buzz: Thanks! I try to keep it nice and clean under there. I'll dig through some more photos and see what motor shots I've got.

tbogemirep: The instructions do say non-MAS trucks. So, not much to bark about there.

gmenor: I assume you mean bolting the flange of the tube on the inside, rather than the outside, as stated in their instructions. I tried this. It does fit better, but still doesn't line up. If I have to modify this pile of garbage to fit, that's the route I'll end up taking. The heat shield is still very slanted in there and wedged up against the fender.

After sending these photos to Michael Cain of AFE, I've heard no response. I did send them to him just yesterday. So, hopefully I'll hear something today. His original response was:

"I talked to the engineer and this is what he had to say.
Since our kit is replacing everything from the filter to the turbo he just needs
to drill out the hole. Everything else should fit right into place. There isn't
any other mounting holes on there and after 97 they didn't use the mount through
the airbox because it was a different box. So it looks like GM did some
modifications to the 97 model year truck."

So, it's obvious they didn't do their homework very well on this system. It's so simple, I guess they figured they didn't have to.

I'll keep you all posted.

TJ
1998 6.5L
1985 6.5L

Kennedy
02-01-2006, 06:25
These kits weren't designed with intercooler pipes in mind either...

TJ
02-01-2006, 06:33
Hey John,
I have no clearance problems with my intercooler pipe. It's far enough out of the way from the inlet on the turbo.

TJ

TJ
02-08-2006, 20:19
Well, I decided to go ahead and make this fit. So, after a hard day of banking, I opened the hood and thought for a second. Well, the flange of the tube must fit on the inside of the box. So, I went ahead and bolted it in. I then put the coupler on the turbo. I proceeded to set the box in there and see how it would fit. After some maneuvering, I had it in pretty decent. I drilled a hole in my wheel well to accept a bolt in the factory hole of the AFE system. I then drilled a hole in the box of the AFE going through the fender just a bit towards the fender side of the other hole and tightened both bolts. It fit good! Only one problem, the stock CDR hose isn't long enough to reach the AFE inlet. So, I made an extension using 1 1/8'' heater hose at the CDR valve itself. I then aligned everything up and tightened everything. Done deal. Fits good, looks nice, works well.

See...

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2184/im000943b4od.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9968/im000944b3pb.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3065/im000945b5eu.jpg

TJ

[ 02-08-2006, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: TJ ]

stingthieves
02-10-2006, 09:07
Hi TJ. Is that nice IC pipe part of a system you purchased as a kit - or did you fab your own design from ??? Nice clean install on the new filter!
Kind Regards - Rick

TJ
02-10-2006, 09:55
Hey Rick,
I purchased the intercooler kit directly from Turbo Technologies. Actually, let me correct myself....my DAD (aka Tractor) did! :D I bought the truck, and he left the nice intercooler tubing on there for me.

Thanks for the nice comments! I don't know if you've been following that post or not, but the AFE Stage 2 is mis-advertised. It does not "directly fit" for 97 and up model years. I sent AFE pictures and comments about what I did to try and help them. Relatively easy to make fit.

TJ