PDA

View Full Version : oil filter adapter

5.7L oldsdiesel
02-03-2006, 05:55
Hi everyone.I friend of mine had a 6.5 N/A engine installed into a 97'K-1500 pickup that had a V6.He installed the engine and could'nt get the oil filter on because of the front driveshaft.The 6.5 came out of a 95'cube van.My question is,is'nt there an adapter made to allow the oil filter to be put on an angle to clear the driveshaft?I did see such an adapter on many 6.5 trucks,but if i were to find an adapter,will it fit upon the 95'engine?Many guys here say the adapter won't fit the engine if it did'nt come that way.

Everyones response is very much appreciated.

Hubert
02-03-2006, 07:41
Might as well go with a remote mount system. Several adapters are availiable. It might be there is some confussion on the thread for the adapter it is not 13/16 female thread in my 97 block (factory 4x4). Which is the "std" GM filter thread. To use say the std GM permacool adapter base it takes an adapter knipple. Also the 4x4 90 degree adapter has a crude cast key thingy that orients the adapter one way only. I am guessing GM would not machine 2 different oil filter bases on the block. At least I have never seen a call out for the block being a 2wd or 4wd. You just have to get the right thread for the adapter.

BobND
02-03-2006, 08:58
The adapter HAS to fit. They did not make differenct blocks, depending upon which oil filter mount was used.

You won't like the price, though, unless you find one of the in-line discount GM parts places to be a lot less $$$ than list at the dealer!

90 Degree adapter... GM #12559093 @ $115.00.

Bolt. with seals and "O" rings... GM12524537 @ $55.00.

JohnC
02-03-2006, 09:42
Go with the remote mount. the front drive shaft really doesn't need to be flooded with dirty oil every 3000 miles...

5.7L oldsdiesel
02-03-2006, 15:57
Thanks guys! smile.gif

tommac95
02-03-2006, 22:38
I vote with John C.
If you want a stock adapter Avant probably has them .... Aside from draining all over the fwd diff, the filter drains on the arm of the mechanic involved. I used a Canton Racing adapter on engine to Permacool on frame...see discussion of bypass filtration....

ees
02-07-2006, 17:16
I went with the remote mount and I am very happy about it. I used the standard unit you get from Summit or the like. I mounted the filter on the inside of the skid plate next to my Heath remote PMD. All I do now is remove the bottom two bolts and swing the skid plate down to do filter changes. Very nice!

arveetek
02-09-2006, 08:29
I'd vote for a remote mount filter setup as well. Curse the engineer who designed the driveshaft going right underneath the filter. There's barely enough room to get the old filter off and the new one on, never mind the fact that the oil drains all over the U-joint and down your arm! GM should have used a remote mount setup from the factory.

Changing the oil on my '81 2WD is a breeze compared to the '95 4WD.

Casey