PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch

soldier
02-09-2006, 20:17
I am trying to replace the ignition switch on my 95 chevy 1 ton with a 6.5 due to the fact that i have no power no where. But I have lights any thoughts? or am i dead on

JohnC
02-10-2006, 14:02
I'd probe the plug below the switch on the column first. No power anywhere is suspect as there are several separate circuits in the ignition switch.

tommac95
02-10-2006, 19:37
Replacing the switch may be useful.

For purposes of troubleshooting suggest check all the underhood fuses first, then fuses at left (drivers') end of instrument panel, then look at inline fusible links (as from alternator) , then insure clean/secure connections at batteries+block-grounds, particularly the eyelets on stud/post rear psgr head by transmission dipstick tube.

Be methodical and consider procuring an alldata subscription or OEM Helm manual, as the electrical systems/harnesses can resist disorganised efforts.

Patrick m.
02-13-2006, 16:10
there are 3 or 4 different power feed wires that come out of the ign switch, most of the time just one will wear to the point of loss of power out. It would be a stretch for all of them to lose the ability to carry current at the same time.
I would (as John said) check for power going in to the ign switch, no power means problem is likely out front.

2tough2park
02-14-2006, 18:19
I just went through the poop on my 94. No power at all. Determined to be a bad main power lead from the battery to a junction block on the firewall. Your 95 will be set up different, but check for a main power lead from your driver's battery. It may be a separate cable, like on my 94. It will either run into the cab, or hit a junction block somewhere. In my case, I had no power at all. Caused the truck to stall. The different wiring in the 95's may be why your lights still work.