PDA

View Full Version : got propane?

signgrafix
02-11-2006, 08:27
Do any of you guys have the propane injection on your 6.5? It would be down the road, but it looks like something I might be interested in. I stoped by a local diesel service in my area and he recomended NOT to do it. he reasons were head/gaskets and main failures in the 6.5.

ogrice
02-12-2006, 10:14
It must be regulated correctly. I do not recommend it if you cannot keep the ratios less than 6:1. Thats 6 gal of diesel burned for 1 gal of propane. Propane will cause knocking just like a gas engine if it's not in correct proportion. This is probably what the diesel mechanic was referring to. Knocking leads to all kinds of failures.
I keep mine around 7-8:1. I see a difference of about 2 mpg running unloaded over a full tank 35 gal.

TurboDiverArt
02-12-2006, 19:42
With the price of do-it-yourself intercoolers I don't see why you would want to go this route. On long hauls you have to be concerned about running out of propane and then having all kinds of problems.

Art.

signgrafix
02-12-2006, 20:38
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
With the price of do-it-yourself intercoolers I don't see why you would want to go this route. On long hauls you have to be concerned about running out of propane and then having all kinds of problems.

Art. Yea, it does not sound so good now, I am new to the diesel stuff. I just bought my truck. What is the deal with the intercooler you were referring to?

Mark Rinker
02-13-2006, 05:45
Art - in most common propane injection configurations, running out of propane would simply leave you with stock power. No trouble, unless you were relying on the extra power to get you over the next hill to a refill. Propane refill stations are plentiful.

As for intercooling, 6.5s can definately benefit from it and it would be a good idea to have that in place before adding a significant power mod like propane. Injecting propane before the turbocharger and intercooler has a cooling effect on the intake charge as well.

Signgraphix - if you are new here, there are many articles and postings on how to make reliable power numbers with your 6.5. Propane injection would have to follow a number of basic modifications to ensure the engine was capable of handling the extra heat and stress created by the extra fuel.

signgrafix
02-13-2006, 08:29
I think I will pass on the propane.
Here is what I have planned.
Open up the exhaust to 4 inch.
Upgrade to the 97 dual thermostat water pump.
Duramax fan
install the timing gear package (while I am down there)
Install larger oil cooler.
There is an electronic think on the engine that should be replaced ond moved off the engine (heat)
New performance injectors
and finally a computer chip improvement.
I will check into the intercooler thing.

Mark Rinker
02-14-2006, 10:13
You are certainly on the right path to better performance now. Sounds like the order of your mods is correct as well...get it to breathe and then add more fuel/boost.

You might consider a free flowing air filter if most of your driving is on paved roads. If you work in dusty conditions, I'd personally stick with OEM paper filters and change them every oil change - or even more freqently.

Once you chip the truck for more fuel, you will need to add boost to burn it. There are a few ways to do this. Either way, you should have two critical gauges in place before adding MORE POWER - an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) and boost gauge. Very important to monitor both on performance engines.

Consider adding your vehicle information to your profile. If we know what year and mods are in place, you will get better responses to your questions.

Good luck!