PDA

View Full Version : Finding Garage Space?

BigRoryG
02-11-2006, 15:34
I feel like this might be a useful thread.

For those of us with no indoor garage space, how do people go about finding somewhere to work on their vehicles?

I know a couple of people with garages, but the large-ish trucks often don't fit do they?

I mean, when I was visiting my parents, his mechanic let me work in his shop, but I don't know any mechanics down here well enough for that.

Is there an established way to rent or beg for garage space at a shop? I mean, I have tools, but it gets wicked cold up here in New Hampshire...

Thoughts?

john8662
02-11-2006, 17:34
Storage facilities are available for rent, some are big enough to work on trucks in. The first one I ever rented was a 30' x 25' storage building. Most of the people that rented them as well were working on their car projects.

Not worth it for the occasional maintenance issue on a truck though.

BigRoryG
02-12-2006, 09:30
I guess I should try to find someone up here with a barn or something... I'll bring a salamander.

trbankii
02-13-2006, 08:52
People often are asking me if they could use my garage "for a weekend" or something - detached garage at my house but with two bays with 9'x9' doors and 10.5' ceiling height. I learned my lesson the first time when two weeks later there his car still sat disassembled...

I think that sort of thing would be why many would be hesitant. Plus the whole issue of liability for any commercial shop (actually for any home shop as well).

I don't have a problem with someone coming over on a Saturday and I'll help them with something minor. Always glad to lend a hand. But anything more than that and I'm hesitant.

16gaSxS
02-13-2006, 11:06
Big Rory;

Look into folks that might have bought a Farm Stead too live on. Many times they come with several out building. We bought one 5 years ago and I rent space in some of the shop buildings. You might try an add in the local paper or the local shopper paper. You might also look in those under storage space rentals or building rentals. I have also seen where people will rent their Garages out if they don't need them like older folks that don't drive any more. Also try AG related publications. Another thought is check with a near by farmer who has plenty of buildings and offer to pay him so many $ a day for the use of his shop. If you get to know someone with space, help them with some of their "chores" and you later may get to use space for free as your now a helpfull friend. I have a friend who has helped me for several years with projects who has moved, we have some of his stuff and a truck stored in our buildings at no cost as all the work he did he never charged me.

Cowracer
02-13-2006, 13:25
Harumpf....
:mad:

I have a nice 2 car garage, not big enough for the truck, but plenty big for the boat, if I squeeze it in sidways.

Wife (who has NEVER had a garage to park in, in her entire life) cries bloody murder about having to scrape windows etc. in the cold. I relent ONE FREAKING TIME, and now the boat is personna non grata in the garage.

This situation continues until wifie-poo needs some additional storage space for "just a few weeks" while I redo the basement.

Now my garage is full of crap, no chance to get a car in. Even my trusy Swisher Ride King mower is reduced to being a shelf for something else. I have just enough room to walk through the thing.

And all of a sudden, the wife is OK with parking outside, natch.

I am about to rent a roll off and have a dumping party. I gotta crush this before the harley arrives, or else I can see her having summer clothes hanging off the handlebars.

Is that grounds for divorce?

Tim

16gaSxS
02-13-2006, 16:48
Originally posted by Cowracer:
Harumpf....

I have a nice 2 car garage, not big enough for the truck, but plenty big for the boat, if I squeeze it in sidways.

Wife (who has NEVER had a garage to park in, in her entire life) cries bloody murder about having to scrape windows etc. in the cold. I relent ONE FREAKING TIME, and now the boat is personna non grata in the garage.

This situation continues until wifie-poo needs some additional storage space for "just a few weeks" while I redo the basement.

Now my garage is full of crap, no chance to get a car in. Even my trusy Swisher Ride King mower is reduced to being a shelf for something else. I have just enough room to walk through the thing.

I am about to rent a roll off and have a dumping party. I gotta crush this before the harley arrives, or else I can see her having summer clothes hanging off the handlebars.

Tim Tim;
I have a 40x80 building I'd rent you for all your toys if you get the big D and come here to Montana, and for another $150/ month I'd rent you a RV spot right next to it. Get you Direct TV, have all you toy next too you and watch a Montana sunset 330 days out of 365. Don't worry out that -24F we are getting on Thursday! :eek:

Cowracer
02-14-2006, 05:58
Originally posted by 16ga SxS:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cowracer:
Harumpf....

Tim Tim;
I have a 40x80 building I'd rent you for all your toys if you get the big D and come here to Montana, and for another $150/ month I'd rent you a RV spot right next to it. Get you Direct TV, have all you toy next too you and watch a Montana sunset 330 days out of 365. Don't worry out that -24F we are getting on Thursday! :eek: </font>[/QUOTE]Tempting... yet I think the drive to work would be a bit of a stretch. :D

I was looking over the garage last night. The wife has no sense of "vertical space" I can consolidate the whole mess into about 1/4 of the garage with out throwing out a thing.

If I could just get people in my family to stop asking me to help them work on their cars, I might actually finish the theater I am putting in the basement.

Then she can have the other side of the basement back for her storage.

Tim

16gaSxS
02-14-2006, 08:05
Originally posted by Cowracer:
[ [/qb]Tempting... yet I think the drive to work would be a bit of a stretch. :D

I was looking over the garage last night. The wife has no sense of "vertical space" I can consolidate the whole mess into about 1/4 of the garage with out throwing out a thing.

If I could just get people in my family to stop asking me to help them work on their cars, I might actually finish the theater I am putting in the basement.

Then she can have the other side of the basement back for her storage.

Tim [/QB][/QUOTE]

Tim;
Suggest they help you finish your basement project first so you can THEN help them with their car. Just a thought. ;)

Cowracer
02-14-2006, 09:02
Originally posted by 16ga SxS:

Tim;
Suggest they help you finish your basement project first so you can THEN help them with their car. Just a thought. ;) Yeah, I know. I'm stupid that way. It always seems that when I have something to work on, I am always by myself. I did the whole R&R of my truck engine single handedly, minus about 5 minutes of my son helping me line up the engine on the mounts.

I've asked people to help with the basement and the answer is always "Sure just call me" when I am working on thier car, and "I cant make it today" when I am not.

Really gets up my arse at times.

tim