PDA

View Full Version : Poor Radio Reception

number two
02-11-2006, 20:14
The factory radio in my beloved '93 K2500 just doesn't hardly pull in any stations anymore. Left work for home one night and could barely get any of my usual stations. Tried another radio in another car when I got home and it worked OK so it must be in my truck. Suppose it could be radio or antenna. Cassette deck hasn't worked in years and the lights in the graphic equalizer in the deck only work every couple months. Some of my lights in the control haed don't work either. The dealer said radio repair was rather pricey,as in several hundred dollars.
I've been living with everything until now,but I simply have to have decent radio reception.

Has anybody had to troubleshoot this poor reception problem? I've thought about obtaining a test antenna and plugging it into the radio unit under the dash and see if it improves the reception. Maybe it's time to have my stuff repaired as I'll most likely be driving it awhile. Or replace just the radio with a used unit?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

bbudus
02-11-2006, 20:58
I just upgraded my radio. Went to Crutchfield's and purchased a nice Pioneer CD, MP3 player for about $129 dollars. The best part is they threw in the factory wiring harness and the installation kit. Matched my interior color, went in smooth and looks and sounds great. I would recommend that instead of going with that POS factory system.

Bbudus

rjwest
02-12-2006, 06:03
There should be a coupler in the engine compartment
right siae by antenna, my was corroded beyond
repair, required a new antenna,,

coupler: If I rember correctly, the antenna
has a short cable that goes to a long cable,,

Hope I'm correct,

Also, My guess, weak stations with noise-antenna

very low volume,p could be equalizer as
it affects volume in specific ranges...

markelectric
02-12-2006, 09:05
Check out mnrelectronics.com

All kinds of OEM radios and service

number two
02-12-2006, 13:21
Gentlemen,thank you for your prompt replys. I checked out that mnr electronics website. They sure do have that OEM stuff! I've obtained a test antenna,however GM has changed the antenna wire to a smaller size-those dogs. Guess it's been awhile since I've removed a GM radio. I'll have to scare up an adaptor next trip to town-hope such a thing is available. I was checking out under the hood and that antenna wire/coupler appear to be buried behind that noise reducing insulation in the fender. Seems like I saw something in my service manual showing two cables.

It seems like I could have either a radio or antenna problem. Perhaps my smartest move is to diagnose with the test antenna before investing in new equipment or ripping my truck apart to check that wire/coupler. Hey,what are those aftermarket radio/cd units like? do they fit into the dash up at the control head,or is it seperate like the factory unit? Or does it fit where the cassette player/equalizer goes. Just curious in case I decide to replace. Thanks again

rjwest
02-12-2006, 13:54
seeing the MI in siggy,
Good chance the coupler box is corroded///

bbudus
02-12-2006, 16:02
The new unit would go in where the tape player goes. They do give you a cubby hole to fill in were the radio goes, but it is pretty useless. If you put your foot into the truck, the contents end up under your seat. I am very happy with my set up. Gives me a break from the radio with the CD/MP3 player. Plus looks like a factory job.

Bbudus

number two
02-12-2006, 17:09
RJWest-I know Michigan means rust belt,but I bought this truck in northern Texas in 1999 so it's had 6 1/2 years up here,not it's full lifetime,which would probably be about over if driven here initially. I'm sure I'll be getting to that coupler inspection. Thank You.

Bbudus-That Pioneer unit sounds OK. I've had their stuff in the past and was pleased. The factory stuff is certainly not first run,but looks nice,like it belongs there. A highly profitable item for them to be sure. I might like that cubby hole. I sometimes pile stuff in front of the speedo or tach,a habit I need to break as I've han a new instrument cluster bezel for several years and have yet to install it. Guess just waiting for an excuse to take the dash apart-do no work before it's time. Should I need repair work if it isn't the antenna,I'll be checking out Crutchfield. Bought stuff from them back in the late '70's and early '80's when the best in music was a little more important to me than now. Could here better then as well. Always got treated well by them;prices seemed OK. Thank you as well.