PDA

View Full Version : anti-lock?

d.h.
02-13-2006, 21:13
I,ve been experiencing a lack of rear braking for the last while. I replaced shoes a while back as the original (7 years old) were still 80%.I went with little softer lining to possibly help with the grab. My E brake is right up and works great,and the adjustment is right on as well. My anti-lock first thing in the morning or when it,s wet will lock the rear wheels up with just slight pressure on the pedal.This only lasts for a mile or so then I,m back to the fronts.I,ve read an old manual I had for my old 90 dually gasser.It stated that antilock controlled line pressure to rear brakes.The 98 system is a little different but I,m thinking same priciple.Has anyone had a problem similar? Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks Dave

More Power
02-14-2006, 09:51
This issue has come up before, and seems to affect more vehicles than we know. I don't remember what a possible cure might be. I'd play with shoe adjustment, while making sure all of the shoe components are in good shape. This problem seems to be due in part to humidity or moisture, and the first brake application of the day. It's generally fine after that.

Jim

jspringator
02-14-2006, 17:18
I ordered longer wheel cylinders from some company in California that is supposed to address this problem, but I haven't got them mounted yet.

d.h.
02-14-2006, 23:18
Thanks for repies. I believe it has something to do with antilock.I bought truck new off lot and up until recently they were fine.The adjustment is good,linings and all related parts.When my fifth wheel is on you really notice it.I went with new lining on rear only to try and improve the braking. The e brake will lock both rear wheels together fine when applied.Every so often when I drive down the hill to my barn the antilock will pulse when I apply brakes.I think I,ll do some research on the antilock system and how it relates braking to the rear.