PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Gauge Install

Spindrift
08-03-2004, 11:06
Cowracer,

While attempting to research this topic, I found that a few folks referenced your specific post on the subject. Unfortunately for me, I can't find it. Is there any possibility you might be able to dig it up for me?

Thanks much.

MTTwister
08-03-2004, 14:35
This one? http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006115

Spindrift
08-04-2004, 05:05
Thanks, Twister, but I don't think so. From the posts I read, it sounded as though Cowracer had provided some detailed instructions regarding the entire installation process. Maybe there just isn't all that much to it though and I'm making this out to be more than it is.

HammerWerf
08-04-2004, 07:32
Spindrift,

I tried to install the tranny temp probe into the pan drain plug on my 1999. None of the adapters/bushings would fit. Found out the thread size is 12mm by 1.75 pitch (metric). At the moment, this probe is on hold for installation.

HammerWerf

john8662
08-04-2004, 11:18
Spindrift,

I have a 1995 K2500 suburban and I have the full array of gauges installed on my burb (pyro, trans, boost), next I want and IAT gauge (but later). Anyways, I installed my transmission gauge by installing it just like the others were on the A-pillar, and then running the sender to the pressure tap port on the side of the transmission. If you got an isspro gauge the sender is the right size to fit in the hole already on the transmission. I have found that I get good temps readings from that location, not the hottest readings (like if it was in a cooler line).

To locate the oil tap port, you will find it on the drivers side of the the transmission. Its just above the tranny shifter. You'll have to remove the shifter bolts on the transmission pan to get the shifter assembly to drop out of the way enough to get at he plug. Its just a plug, take it out, apply some teflon tape to the threads of the sender and it'll go right in. I found that the sender and the plug hole were the same threads, easy mount. If you need more advice, lemme know.

John

Spindrift
08-04-2004, 11:57
Thanks, John. I'm assuming there will be some fluid loss. Correct? If so, how much?

john8662
08-04-2004, 13:40
Actually, I installed the sender with a cold transmission and I didn't have much (not measurable) if any transmission fluid loss. I had everything ready to screw in when I took the plug out.

Another point of advice I had to learn the hard way about the transmission sender wires is that any wire you make for your wiring loom you will want to solder all connections. I used crimp connectors the first time, and didn't get a good signal, resulting in no gauge measurement. I took it all apart again and soldered all the wires where I had to extend the loom. Good luck!

damork
08-04-2004, 19:15
I installed my VDO sender into a welded in bushing in the pan, just below and ahead of the shift selector shaft. I bought a new pan with the drain plug and added the bushing. Bushing came from Autometer but it would have been easy to make one too. Works great.

rjschoolcraft
08-04-2004, 19:26
I simply drilled a 1/2" hole in the pan and welded in a 1/2-20 UNF nut to the inside. Sender has 1/2-20 UNF threads. Used a nylon washer to seal under the sender. Did the same thing for a drain plug in the trans pan and the same thing for an engine oil temperature sender on the engine oil pan. Works well.

Cowracer
08-05-2004, 04:49
is this what you was looking for?

click here (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005468)

Tim

Spindrift
08-05-2004, 09:27
That be the one. Thanks.