PDA

View Full Version : cold start, short run, cold shut down.

morgan
02-16-2006, 15:02
I have politely asked my wife not to start my old truck up just to move it around the yard unless absolutely necessary.

It does sound rediculous to a non-diesel person, so I hate to even mention it. I hate explaining things like this. It's frustrating for both of us. :rolleyes:

Is it really a big deal? I use Royal Purple synthetic oil.

JoeyD
02-16-2006, 16:04
I hate doing that to any vehicle I own.

Hubert
02-17-2006, 06:54
I don't think its a real big deal to just move it. IF you at least wait til the WTS quits cycling or several seconds for oil to pump to turbo before coming off idle.

What is bad is jumping in a cold vehicle (turbo especially) and taking off down the interstate, jackrabbit starts, or towing immediately w/o warm up and then shutting down w/o cool down.

An easy little move across the yard aint too bad occasionally.

I know the feeling of letting others move your truck though. I cringe when they don't even see the wait to start light and jump in and go. I remind them every time if I let them do it again.

JohnC
02-17-2006, 08:56
I don't think it's rediculous, nor do I think it is in any way particular to Diesels. That said, it has a lot to do with how often it gets moved vs. how often you actually drive it. If it gets moved every day and once a month you take it out for a long drive, then it's not going to hold up too well....