PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler airflow Question

Yukon6.2
02-17-2006, 08:41
Hi all
I'm building an intercooler for my straight body 90 crewcab.I have a question on the airflow thru the pipes.I seem to recall someone posting that restricion in air flow is not that important with a pressurized system.
My turbo outlet is 2.25",which does a 90 the goes into 3.5" intercooler tube which is reduced to 1/2 of the diameter of the tube were it went around the rad.The outlet of the intercooler i had to change from the same as inlet to a 3" elbow.The last piece i have to build is the adabter for the intake.Right now it has a 2.25" pipe on it.
My question is,should i try to keep the hose from the intercooler to manifold all 3"?Right now i could just use a reducing elbow and go from 3" pipe to 2.25" manifold. Or does it mater that much on a presurized system?
Any and all coments welcomed.
Thanks

gmctd
02-17-2006, 12:28
It isn't super-critical at only 3500rpm, unless you are planning to run at that rpm continuously.

Maintain the 2.25" dia as much as possible, for ease of installation.

The plenum i.d. is less than 2.25"

rustypig
02-19-2006, 18:35
gmctd has it...it's not super critical. The theory of pneudralics/hydraulics applies here (bernoulie's law maybe)? It's been awhile for me but basically the only thing that should cause a pressure rise is complete restriction. In closed systems like this, when something is necked down into a "vertrulli" (sp?), the speed of the air/fluid increases in that area but the actual pressure in that area decreases. As long as you aren't going drastic to something like a 1" neckdown you shouldn't have any major issues. Obviously...the bigger the better (I think I recall something to that effect from a former girlfriend anyway).