PDA

View Full Version : Wait to start light

ace58
02-18-2006, 10:02
My suburban has been running fine since the engine change and performance upgrades until this morning. I put the key in the ignition, turned it to run position, and no "wait to start" light.

All grounds were just connected at engine change, all new AC 60 glow plugs, and a new glow plug relay. Batteries crank good, oil pressure comes up, and all else seems OK.

Hubert
02-18-2006, 13:05
Coolant temp sensor?

Any codes? Are all other dash lights working? Any wires touching rubbing etc to shorten out?

tommac95
02-18-2006, 15:14
you checked ALL the fuses??

the glow plug relay is/not working?--did you hear the relay 'snap' off; did the volt gage dip and release??

eventually the indicator light will fail

ace58
02-19-2006, 09:50
Thanks for the replies. I checked the fuses and the wiring is in exceptional condition. This is a garaged beauty with the usual gremlins common to this engine package.

This morning, the light came on and it fired right up. I am confused. All connections are tight and clean. When I did a search about this problem one person spoke of an ignition switch, not the key tumbler, mounted in the column as a possible source of the problem. Is this the only symptom of the problem or is there something else I am missing?

Bnave95
02-20-2006, 03:09
Is it just me,seem to read that alot of 99 years are having issues like this?

ace58
02-22-2006, 04:05
Now the plot thickens. Twice, it stals while driving, like FSD, and then it died on the road. Each time it fired up until last night.

It died on the road, wait to start light came on cycled but no fire. I did notice no oil pressure when cranking. I have read that affects lift pump and have one, though not yet installed.

Any other thoughts?

TJ
02-22-2006, 06:27
Install that OPS right away.... You'll notice your replacement is a bit different I believe. It has 3 pins where the one in your 99 now has 1. Have no fear...it's just a one size fits all deal.

TJ

jspringator
02-22-2006, 08:12
I don't think a lift pump problem will cause you to stall. In any event, Oil Pressure sensor failures are less common on a 99 due to the use of a relay to power the lift pump. I think the computer decides whether or not the motor is running, and I am not sure it uses the OPS. Looking more and more like an ignition switch problem