PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 landcruiser 6.5turbo diesel, should I ?

Scott39
02-20-2006, 00:49
I have a few questions, I have a fj40 landcruiser with no engine,tranny,or t-case, and the axle`s, I`m going to change them to dana60 front, and dana70 rear.

I can get a 1994 3/4 ton chevy with a 6.5turbo diesel, has 188k miles, and a manual5 spd tranny, I`m assumming the tranny is a NV4500.

I can get the truck for $3,800, and I was going to take the engine,tranny,t-case, rear FF 14bolt, and put it all in the fj40 landcruiser.

Just was wanting some input on this engine, I know about the PMD, and I was wondering for sure if the tranny was a NV4500, I wouldn`t think the tranny would be anything else.

I was wondering what things to look for on this engine for problems before I buy it.

If I put this engine in my cruiser, what gears should I go with in the axles, I will have 38" or 40" tires, I will be driving my cruiser over the rocky mountains of Colorado to go to the trails a wheel this rig, I won`t be towing anything.
I would like to get the best MPG out of this setup, So I came up with 4.56, or 4.88 gears.

Thanks,
Scott

[ 02-20-2006, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Scott39 ]

trbankii
02-20-2006, 04:52
The 6.2/6.5 swap into a LandCruiser seems to be a very popular swap down in Australia. Check this page out: http://www.marks4wd.com/lc-bj40chevdieselv8.htm

Quite a few people have suggested that a mechanical injection engine is an easier swap than dealing with all the electronics - '94 was the first year for electronic and (as such) had quite a few bugs to be worked out. Get a copy of the DieselPage's manual on the 6.5TD - probably the single best resource out there for all the issues and fixes for these engines.

The transmission should be the NV4500 unless someone swapped it for some odd reason - that was what was put in them from '93 up. Use one of the online calculators for gear ratio.