02-20-2006, 14:54
So

Artworks
02-20-2006, 14:57
[quote]Originally posted by big61fourby:
[b] So

Artworks
02-20-2006, 15:06
sorry, got ahead of myself there. For snow, lot depends on tires. I use the 4x4 a lot up here on ice especially, the torgue of these engines will spin tires like right now and get you sideways quickly, the weight of the front doesn

K. D.
02-20-2006, 17:33
Only time I use 4X4 is when she won't go in 2wd.
Ice is not a problem, I have a dually, they hold an icy road very well. Usually takes about 8 inches or better of snow before I need to lock up.

K.D.

98 K3500 dually X-cab auto trans

a5150nut
02-20-2006, 18:16
I used to have a 74 350 2x and I used an old water tank about 35 gal. against the tail gate. I layed a 2x6 accross the back of the wheel weels to hold everything in place. Sometimes I did run chains. I drove arround many stuck 4x4s and that was with 1200x16.5s on the rear. It's not so much what you drive, it's how you drive it. Leave it in 2x and goose it a liitle once in a while so you know what slipping is before it sneeks up on ya. And leave PLEANTY of stopping room!!!!!!

Then use 4x to get up or down anything to steep for 2x. I got stuck out on a logging road looking for a Christmas tree once. Shoveled the back full of wet snow and drove it out.

Bnave95
02-21-2006, 03:21
Two wheel drive dully. Most cases my truck can go through anything. I have lots of weight with tool box's. Tire type is the key for me ;)

JTodd
02-21-2006, 07:19
I go to 4x4 when roads are covered in snow, and plows have not gone through. More for piece of mind, and I generally try to help pull people out of the ditch. Other than that 2x.

big61fourby
02-21-2006, 08:12
Good stuff, guys, thanks. I've been really impressed with this truck--it's done stuff in 4x4 (barely...) that 2x anything wouldn't touch.

I guess more specifically, what about when the roads start to clear up, and are patchy with ice? Do you typically leave it in 2x until you need it? (or until its too late???)

How much engage/disengage can this thing take in a short period? (i have the push-button setup) Thanks

NH2112
02-21-2006, 14:36
When I had a 4x4 I left for work before the driveway was plowed most of the time so I always locked the hubs and shifted into 4x before heading out. My commute was about 20 miles on highways and interstates, but they both had enough snow on them to need 4x4 in most cases. I "could" drive it in 2WD but there was obviously a marked decrease in control even at slow speeds. So my opinion is that you shift into 4x BEFORE you need it, because most of the time you won't have much opportunity to do it before you slide into the ditch or other lane.

MTTwister
02-21-2006, 15:17
We had some snow in early Nov (14th to be exact) http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009702#000000 .

Usually the streets are warm first, so the snow melts and freezes, and it's 'interesting". We've still got some less travelled streets in this burg with ice pack on 'em. It was about late Dec that the streets were fairly passable. That's when I took it out of 4wd. I was probably averaging 16 mi a day.

You should check to see if you have the newer CAD unit. ( Central Axle Disconnect). The old version ( on the '96 ) was a thermal unit - it could take several seconds for it to warm up the innards and actually engage the front axle. There are times you might not want ot wait that long. Also had heard that the thermal unit will voluntary dis-engage if it gets cold. Also un-good

Search on "CAD" to find previous discussions of this POS. The newer unit( 97's on up) is direct- electric and clunks right now. It would have 3 wires - 2 in the harness, and a 3rd Brown wire running from the CAD back to the Transfer case harness.

BTW - Some have inadvertently driven with 4wd engaged for long dry road trips. Doesn't seem to hurt anything seriously - 'cept fuel mileage. Not recommended obviously.

Mark Rinker
02-21-2006, 17:16
Our plow trucks are in 4HI anytime they are working. Really helps with steering and pushing effectively.

The tow vehicles run in 4HI any time the road conditions are slippery - I will even use it in heavy rain.

Literally thousands of miles in 4HI. Never done a transfer case, only done front CV joints on really high mile stuff.

Hubert
02-21-2006, 18:06
Straight line driving does not really add much stress to 4x4 (if tires are all same, regularly rotated and same inflation etc.)

Ditto (I think someone already said this)
The binding and stress is due to speed differential in tire tracking. It hurts during turns. The tighter the turn the harder the bind. The bigger the tire the more stress too. Short beds reg cab the worst I think. So you could leave in full time if you want/need to but don't do any 3 pt turns with good traction. Use the whole road or parking lot if in 4x4 for turning if you want to be easier on it.

I had a jacked up truck that would darn near skip and jump in a tight turn in 4x4 from the tire wall flexing then slipping and kind of spring hopping when the traction too good.

big61fourby
02-21-2006, 21:22
Glad to hear these things can take some good use. The 1961 Chevy 4x4 I have will buck/shake/bind like no tomorrow in 4x on dry pavement. It made me wonder what the rule of thumb is on these newer trucks.

I almost think my truck does have the newer CAD system, because it always pops right in, doesn't really ever blink, just clunk, even in the cold. Come to think of it, this think also has the '97-up style dual thermostate set up, so I suppose its possible. Is there any other sure way to tell? 3 wires instead of 2, or no? Thanks

MTTwister
02-22-2006, 08:15
The newer version will have 3 wires. The 3rd brown wire comes directly out of the CAD, the other two plug into the harness on the right front axle housing. Probably would have to slide under the outfit ( from the front) to verify. Kinda sounds like you're golden.

Perry
02-24-2006, 01:23
If you have the push button 4x4 and you are driving in and out of slippery conditions, I would leave the button selected on "Auto 4x4". It leaves the front hubs locked, and will engage the 4x4 automatically when it senses that the truck is slipping.

Auto 4x4 actually works. I tried it in the snow the first year I bought it, and purposely over accelerated. The rears barely even spun and the fronts engaged right away and it was pretty uneventful.

So if I'm driving on the highway with lots of standing water or slushy roads, I usually leave it in Auto 4x4. If its snow or ice on the highway or in town, 4x4. Driving across the sand dunes to the beach is Low 4x4, otherwise, its just in 2Hi the rest of the time. Its amazing how quickly the system switches between all those modes.