PDA

View Full Version : Need Help-Truck won't Start (turns over-won't fire)

bigjim
02-21-2006, 09:46
truck died going down the road. started black then white smoking. i found a very bad fuel leak at fuel filter housing.

i repaired fuel leak and bled air from system. truck will not start and run. i poured diesel into the intake and it will fire but wont run.

i hooked up a tech II computer(on-loan from gmc) and no codes. i have checked all the connections and cleaned them.

NO/Zero fuel is coming out of injection pump. i have 7lbs of fuel at injection pump inlet hose.

i cracked fuel injection line a nothing.

Is it a bad pump ? no codes and problem happened when fuel leak started

Help !!!

thanks, jim
jwm9289@adelphia.net

JTodd
02-21-2006, 10:21
Before settling on the IP, check the FSD/PMD. Usually and intermitant problem before giving out, but not necessarily.

DmaxMaverick
02-21-2006, 10:35
For starters, I'd check the fuel shutoff solenoid. Be sure it's getting power with key on, and it is operating. If you have fuel pressure into the pump, and no fuel out, that'd be my guess. Could it have been unplugged?

Hubert
02-21-2006, 17:45
The IP might be dead. I reread your other posts and the IP may have starved for fuel long enough to cause damage. I would think you would get codes though.

From many posts I have read its not necessary to loosen fuel lines at injector to bleed air. But your last reported there was still no fuel out but batteries were starting to get weak.

Batteries strong and all other basic checks done. Then try this.

adlibbed From the manual ... (Engine Cranks but does not run)

(I think you have tried this 1st part with one or 2 injectors but try with more)

Try loosening several fuel lines at the injectors each side and dribbling a little fuel (with cetane improver) in intake (center bolt of plenum cover) and crank. Crank for 15-20 seconds. Let cool. Repeat.

(the manual does not say dribble fuel in intake use common sense I don't know how much is ok.)

Any fuel anywhere?

Yes - retighten fuel lines dripple fuel into intake and try to start.

(Caution I don't know what this part does)

No - retighten fuel lines. Dribble a little fuel in intake and disconnect Optical /fuel temp sensor. - Repeat this 2 or three times since you opened several injector lines (the book says do one at a time)

Crank - does engine start? Yes - replace the IP. If NO - it goes further into probing the FSD which I think you have already tested and said was good right?

I guess disconnecting the Optical/fuel temperature sensor puts the programming and fuel solenoid into a default mode and commands the IP for idle. And if normal programing can't control the fuel solenoid for fuel rate to run but this defualt mode works then the IP is bad.

[ 02-21-2006, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Hubert ]