PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler question -- Do I need one?

DieselCrawler
01-29-2006, 09:12
Hey all,
I have a turbo on my K-30 work truck, it is of unknown brand, i bought it off ebay a while back. It has made a world of diffrence in how my truck performs.
I am getting up to 9 to 10 PSI of boost at times, but have to start backing out of the fuel to keep my EGT's down, it goes to 1100 deg. easily. I only have the IP turned up about 1/8 of a turn. Would an intercooler be worth the effort? Should I just live with what I have? Would turning the IP up/down make any diffrence?

Thanks for any input...

Greg

Dieselboy
01-29-2006, 20:32
I'm of the opinion that despite the limitations of not having ready-made kits available, those of us who are forcing air down the throats of our engines should think hard about adding an intercooler.

Some of JD's research a few years ago revealed that boost as low as 5 and 7 psi was enough to generate 250 F in the intake, and 300 F was coming on quickly. While that's based on a GM8 turbo, the lesson I took away was to start thinking of a way to cool down the intake charge in my 15+ psi boosted engine.

The promise is lower and more stable EGTs when we're really working the engine, and that's appealing to me as I want to prolong this engine's life for a good many years to come. I only want to rebuild this engine when I acquire A) 300K + miles, or B) enough disposable cash to do an elective "hotter-rod" rebuild than last time.

I say do it! You would be among the elite as running an intercooled 6.2TD. :cool:

DieselCrawler
01-30-2006, 07:48
OK, with that being said, and I do go for it, what are some of the options for me, with this body style truck, what have others done, using what parts, what needs modified to make it all fit? I don't have A/C on my truck, so there's one less thing infront of the radiator to take up space, and to have to plumb around, but what might be the best parts to get that would fit with the least ammount of work/modifacations? Cost is also a concern, it may be a business/work truck, but the ol' man (the other owner of our business) doesn't see any reason to do anything to it. (His reply is "It runs already, right?") The cost of the turbo came out of my pocket in the first place.
Thanks for any help, and/or ideas...

Greg

Yukon6.2
01-30-2006, 08:51
Crawler
I'm in the midst of building a turbo and intercooler system for my truck.
I f you wait a few months i'll have it done and post some pic's to look at.I used a intercooler from a 01 cummings powered P/U,i'm prefabing everything so i can keep driving my truck,when i have it all done then i'll spend a day or so installing everything.
As iv been working on it in my mock up i'm surprised as how well everything is fitting together :rolleyes: Hope i havn't jinxed my self.
The intercooler did need some minor modifications,it was about 1/2" to narrow between the pipes for my rad,but it fit like it was OEM for the rad suport,seeing how i got it for next to nothing i think i lucked out getting this intercooler to start with.

DieselCrawler
02-04-2006, 06:56
Yukon,
With your trucks being '90 CC's, they are the same body style at my '84, right? If that's the case, I will start my search for an '01 intercooler for what I assume is a Dodge with the Cummins. A friend of mine works at a body shop, and may be able to come up with one that was replaced while a truck was in for repairs... he sends quite a few radiators and such our way, slightly damaged, but usable stuff, some with only minor scratches.
If you have any pictures, even if it's only in the begining stages, please send some my way...
e l e c t i c w o n d e r A T h o t m a i l D O T c o m ... Thanks.

Greg

Yukon6.2
02-04-2006, 08:56
Crawler
Yea we have the same body style trucks. The intercooler i got came from a collision repair. It was twisted slightly when i got it,but held preasure.It was simple to straition.If you can get a extra rad suport for your truck then you can do all the modifications to it out of the truck,i had a few and i think it will speed up the fabracation.Not to mention welding will be easyer when you can flip it over without having the truck attached :D
I have the intercooler back from the welder,will have to test it again for preasure.I have to order some silicon elbows reducers and clamps soon.The next major job is rebuilding the rad support with some uprights and cross bracing to replace the ones i took out,one plus is i will be opening up more flow thru the rad and intercooler,which hopfully will offset having a intercooler in front of the rad.I'll try to get some pic's posted and sent to you,not sure when i'll get to that :rolleyes:

doncannon
02-05-2006, 22:19
Hello All,

Good question crawler!
I am also thinking of an intercooler. Do any of you run the a/c condenser? I was thinking of running a intercooler below the bumper. what do you all think?

Don

Yukon6.2
02-12-2006, 09:44
Hi Crawler
I tried your e-mail yesterday,and it came back as undeliverable.Can you check it out and see if it's missing a letter or ?.
Any luck scrounging up parts?
Thomas

DieselCrawler
02-12-2006, 11:51
Yukon,
Email is as it is spelled, naturaly, change the "AT" and the"DOT" to what they are....
No luck on parts yet, I'll start checking ebay also...

Thanks...
Greg

Yukon6.2
02-16-2006, 07:53
Crawler
I tried the original e-mail again and it got returned.So i tried adding a r between the t and i and i didn't get it back.But did you get it? I seem to remember you worked for an electric company?So i thought i'd give it a try.
Anyhow if you didn't get it,e-mail me at
s a l e c k e r AT y k n e t dot c a

DieselCrawler
02-17-2006, 00:01
Yukon,

I guess I was asleep last time I posted about the email being spelled right... sorry about that, you're right, put the "r" in there. "electricwonder", I seem to not be.

I'll go check my email now... thanks.

Greg

aloharovers
03-04-2006, 08:33
Do you have any concerns with the intercooler blocking/restricting airflow through the radiator?

Pete

Yukon6.2
03-04-2006, 10:23
I was a little concerned about it,but i have opened the rad support up so the complete intercooler except the tanks are exposed to air flow. This also exposed about 140 square inches of rad that used to be blocked by tin in the original rad suport,plus two horns that were mounted in the airflow to the rad.
Since i live in a relativly cooler climate then most,it's still a concern but a minor one,and if i do have any cooling problems i'll try an aluminum racing rad,i'm hoping that i wouln't need to go with one,but i'll have a good excuse to buy one if required,hopefully the wife will think so too