PDA

View Full Version : Electric radiator fan

Schulze
02-09-2006, 21:54
Noticed a vendor with a dual electric fan for 2001 to 2005 Duramax. After towing with my 2005 after one hot summer in Phoenix and listening to the very loud stock fan this may be an option for a fix. They claim it recovers 27HP and can boost fuel mileage by 6% by eliminating the stock clutch assembly. Are these claims true? Anyone tried one? Is it worth the $450 and 1/2 day install time?

More Power
02-10-2006, 09:40
This subject usually comes up whenever the temperature rises....

The highest rated dual-electric fan setup pulls 5200 CFM. Your Duramax 9-blade 21" fan can pull more than 10,000 CFM at 3000-rpm.

For light-duty use, having an electric fan setup might help with fuel economy, but overheating and stopped by the side of the road is more than a 300-hp hit. I'd choose the 27-hp hit any day. :D

Jim

Claven
02-10-2006, 19:29
I put one in and so far no heat issues other than I get heat in the cab now, but I haven't had it through a summer yet. I will be taking my stock fan with me on any heavy haulling road trips this summer just in case, because it is so easy to change I can do it in 20 mins on the side of the road, but initial reaction says its gonna work. I've pulled some heavy loads on some real warm days this winter with winter front on and I had to pull the winter front off, but once I did, the temp dropped so much that the fan wouldn't even turn on. I havent heard of anyone else trying one, and alot of people say it won't work but I figured I'd try it for myself. As for the 1/2 day install well maybe with the wiring but it won't take that long, and like I said, once it is installed it can be swapped out even faster.

[ 02-10-2006, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Claven ]

Schulze
02-10-2006, 20:51
I was wondering what the stock fan rating was. Great info! I guess with that much flow it bound to be noisy. This manufacturer is claiming 6000cfm which would make it 40% less air flow from stock. That is a huge difference! Sounds like it may work in cooler climates like in Alberta but in Phoenix where temps are over well over 100 for months on end I don't think I will take the chance. It is always nice to hear from someone that has the product installed. If you are interested the manufacturer web sit is: http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/chevy-diesel.html

More Power
02-10-2006, 23:09
Actually, the 10K rating is perhaps a bit on the low side (this is the LB7 rating), because GM reduced the size of the fan pulley for the LLY equipped trucks, increasing its rotational speed. In addition, the 2006 LLY & LBZ's are running a caged fan, which improves its efficiency even more.

Anyone who's had to pull over because of an overheated engine would agree that having the fan-clutch engage is a good thing... smile.gif

Jim

ronniejoe
02-11-2006, 06:49
Originally posted by More Power:
Anyone who's had to pull over because of an overheated engine would agree that having the fan-clutch engage is a good thing... smile.gif HERE! HERE!

The dual electrics might be a good addition on top of the factory clutch fan. This could potentially reduce the amount of time the clutch fan is engaged. It could also be useful for low speed (idling in traffic) A/C performance on a hot day. I certainly would not use the dual electrics exclusively.

MikeC
02-11-2006, 09:28
Schulze,

I tried dual electrics on my 96 Burban as a replacement for the stock 7 blade steel fan. They were OK when the temp was below 90 and I was moving at highway speeds. They also worked well in stop and go traffic when the truck was not generating that much heat.

They lacked the ability to move enough air in the 20-50 MPH range. The truck was obviously making more heat but they didn't seem to be able to move enough air.

The Burban now has a Dmax fan on it with Kennedy's fan clutch. Overall this setup is doing a lot better job at keeping things cool.

Just my experience/opinion.

Mike

David Utz
02-11-2006, 13:04
Removing the stock fan may also limit the grade braking while going down hill. That big old fan really screams above 4000 RPM. That drag is part of what keeps the speed under control.

hug
02-12-2006, 12:06
If you look in there application guide it states thet these fans are good to a gvw of 18000. They should let people know this up front because most of us gross more than that.

Schulze
02-13-2006, 21:45
As usual, excellent input from all. It's good to know those GM engineers know what they are doing. Also what after market products are worth while or not. The experience and knowledge of contributors on this site always amaze me. Now I can apply that money toward something else... Like a longer vacation... or maybe that tuner... or...