PDA

View Full Version : White smoke on start

Dihrdbowti
08-03-2004, 13:58
A few months back my IP went out but it was still under warranty. Since then I have a puff of white smoke at startup but is gone right away. I just did a road trip from Reno Nv. to Houston Tx and back. Oh and the truck ran great!!!! (except when dad was running in 3rd for 125 miles and half a tank DOH!!)averaging 19.5mpg on the way there with AC and 17.5mpg back with AC. (bringing back car parts in a trailer and a roof box on the return). Anyway about the white smoke, while in Houston i never saw it but when I returned to Reno it was back. any ideas? Humidity?

Keith Richards
08-04-2004, 10:40
Mine seems to always have a small puff of grey/white smoke on start up.I thought it was kind of normal,seen lots of other diesels do the same.Only when cold,(overnite).Runs like a watch so it seems okay to me,I'm not an expert though.

moose1
08-05-2004, 10:28
My 95 td also has a puff of white smoke at start up but latley it has been getting worse especially when it is cold out. Some advise as to where to start with a fix would be greatly appreciated.

CareyWeber
08-05-2004, 13:17
Check your glow plugs they need replace every so often. My have been making it around three years last time I replaced all of them, but you can test them and only do the bad ones.

Carey

Dihrdbowti
08-06-2004, 20:19
I just had all of my glow plugs replaced as there were only two that were connected. The rest were rusted so bad that the connections had rusted away and the wires were dangling. I have done a replacement and was told that if they were blistered it would be a PITA to remove. So I let the dealer do it. It took them about 18 hours but they dropped their almost $800 bill to just under $500. Could the injectors be a source of this problem??

[ 08-06-2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Dihrdbowti ]

Barry Nave
08-07-2004, 01:27
This is what the 9G glow plugs do.
Swell to the point of being hard to remove, and very eazy to break a tip of. Pull injector and go fishing :rolleyes:
Any other glow plus that are sold will not swell and can handle more glow time for beeter starts.

moose1
11-03-2004, 18:58
took the truck in to my trusty mechanic and three of the eight were not working. The others were OK and as a result ....n more white smoke at start up.

20050420|7|006071|000022|69.19.2.78
11-04-2004, 03:08
Maby it is the timing chain?

jspringator
11-04-2004, 04:28
I am not about to spend 5 to 8 hundred dollars so I won't have smoke on startup. I just want it to start.

Tom Hallock
11-05-2004, 10:00
I too have white smoke at start up in the morning. And its not just a puff of smoke but a belch. Glow plugs were replaced this summer. Figured this was a good time to do it as the dealer had to replace a piston and the bearing. While doing that I also had all the bearings replaced, figured if one was bad, the others could be to. And naturally while engine was already torn apart they might as well change the plugs.
BTW -- I've owned this truck for three years, put about 150K miles on it an never changed the plugs, so it was probably time anyway.