PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Needed On Auxiliary Fuel Tank ??

Roy W
02-17-2006, 17:00
Since installing my 60 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of my truck, I very seldom fuel through the truck filler door. I just keep the OEM truck tank full by transferring fuel from the auxiliary tank. Should/could I install a small inline can type filter in the 3/8" fuel line going from the auxiliary tank to the inlet side of the 12 volt fuel transfer pump. The pump that I am using is a small FACET brand pump that has a 45 gph capacity. I thought I remember that these little pumps "pull" better than they "push" that's why I thought the inlet side would be better. I figured a little extra filtration couldn't hurt. Anyone else done this?? Comments??

More Power
02-17-2006, 23:23
Having an auxiliary fuel tank presents an excellent opportunity to also add an auxiliary fuel filter. If you add one, I'd choose one with a water drain.

Jim

Kennedy
02-19-2006, 06:51
Where your fuel comes from once on the truck has little to do with the need for aux filtration unless the aux tank is dirty inside. You are running the same fuel regardless of where you pump it in. Now running through the aux tank and into the main does present a nice opportunity to prefilter before it hits the main tank provided there is room. Otherwise any other conventional filtration system will also be just as effective.

Myself, I only use my aux tank for trips and use a pump to transfer to the main tank. I do have a compact inline filterright after the pump to help strain out what I can.

My latest addition is a 550 gallon storage tank to which I added one of my Super Mega extra high efficiency filters. This will help with service life issues on the OE Racor unit.

Diagonal Brace
02-19-2006, 09:34
I have a 150 gallon tank on my truck for refuelling equipment and NEVER pump fuel straight into the truck's tank without going through the slip tank first. I use a goldenrod water separator filter with a clear plastic bowl and it is disgusting how fast dirt accumulates in there. I always buy fuel from the same cardlock and try to use the same pump as well. I have had a fuel quality issue in the past and doing all of this may seem redundant but it give me peace of mind and helps to keep track if there is a problem. Any prefiltering has got to help and this applies not only to fuel but barrels of oil or any other bulk puchase.