PDA

View Full Version : dtc 78

hayesash
08-03-2004, 19:41
On a recent trip towing my trailer my truck ran good. boost at 12lbs everything normal On the return trip I lost about half the boost. It would spike to 6 and sometimes would quit altogether. Set code 78. About 40 miles from home it went back to normal for awhile but now is back to about what it was stock. I installed a heath max-e-torq about a month ago and it was working great. Any ideas ?

Pat

Barry Nave
08-04-2004, 01:57
Check Vac.@pump 20psi
CK @ waste gate 15psi less than 15 replace sily-vavle or remove and clean with WD45.
CK for any leaks along tubbing,rubber connection,splits,cracks,lose.
CK turbo can opt. holds vac,moves free.
Vac.tester-CK after pump,should hold Vac.
Clean connector to vavle.
Nows the time to replace line set,they degrade in time,become brittle and crack easy.
All good at this point then voltage CK on plug.
Wire harness clean,inspection and all grounds matained.

Marty Lau
08-04-2004, 09:16
Another option is to remove the vacum system and use a TurboMaster. Some folks like to keep the stock control system and thats fine if you don't mind replacing parts to keep it going as they fail. I just went the manual TurboMaster and scraped the the whole vacum system. I found it works real well or me, plus it's cheaper. ;)

Fredeberle
08-04-2004, 09:46
Bnave 95
Can we replace that line set with copper tubing
1/8 ID ? Been thinking about that for awhile.
Fred

markrinker
08-04-2004, 09:49
I have gone with the Turbo-Master option on both trucks. Much more reliable and cost effective than troubleshooting and continuing to maintain 5 possible points of failure* associated with vacuum system, over time.

* (Electrical wiring, solenoid, vacuum tubing, vacuum pump, actuator.)

ttpost
08-04-2004, 13:32
i just got the turbo master too, solved my turbo problems. it was easy to install about 1/2 hour.
the cost was 70.00 about the same as a new vacuum pump, and eleminated the other parts that would eventually go bad.

i had it in 2 days, and bill heath is a great guy to talk to. very helpfull.

i highly recommend it.

hayesash
08-04-2004, 19:29
Thanks all.
I have a turbo master in the shop just haven't had the time to install it. Just wondered if I had another problem to solve first. Guess I will find out on saturday.

Marty Lau
08-09-2004, 11:42
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
I have gone with the Turbo-Master option on both trucks. Much more reliable and cost effective than troubleshooting and continuing to maintain 5 possible points of failure* associated with vacuum system, over time.

* (Electrical wiring, solenoid, vacuum tubing, vacuum pump, actuator.) Plus you eliminate the chance of the vacuum pump seizing up and blowing a belt and leaving you stranded.