PDA

View Full Version : Noise from left front wheel

rob from bc canada
09-13-2005, 06:49
On my 05 3500 dmax ext cab 8' box srw, stock bridgestone 265 tires, 4000 km on it (3000 miles) when cruising down a smooth road at about 100kmh (60+ mph) and turning slightly to the right, I get a humming noise from the left front tire. It stays about the same volume as I turn more to the right

It goes away totally as soon as the wheels are turned straight again, and there does not seem to be a similar noise on the other side turning left.

So far no unusual wear showing on the tires.

It may be just tire noise you can hear because the truck is otherwise so quiet - that's what the dealer said it was - but it does seem pronouncedly worse turning right than left.

Has anyone experienced this?

maxdout
09-15-2005, 14:31
My '02 HD just had the left front wheel bearings/hub assembly go out at about 60-65k miles. The mechanic that takes care of things for me said he had already replaced several on HD's. He said apparently there's an undisclosed issue, because the Chevy dealer here in town was stocking this $350 part (several pieces). Sounds like some kind of issue to me. Mine did exactly the same thing you're talking about. Making a right turn or changing lanes to the right, I got a humming noise or a squeak. When I told the mechanic about it, he immediately knew what it was. Sure enough, I went by the next morning, it was on the rack with the tire off, and there was quite a bit of play in it.

Check with your dealer and see if there is some sort of issue with this and let us all know.

Maxdout

madmatt
09-16-2005, 04:58
have your tire rotated and see what if anything changes. I have seen front wheel bearings fail, but it is pretty unlikely on a 3000 mile old vehicle. I haven't seen enough of them fail that I would consider it a real problem area though.

dmaxray
09-16-2005, 10:55
Same here,03 and left front hub and bearing replaced. Dealer said no problem. 41,000 miles

rob from bc canada
09-16-2005, 11:51
I'm going to take these responses to my dealer, and see if they'll take a look at it before the bearing goes.

Last time I mentioned it, they blew me off.

rob from bc canada
02-22-2006, 07:40
For an update, I complained about this noise once more at my first 6 month service, and was again told it was "normal" tire noise.

The service manager hinted that a wheel alignment could be considered if the problem "continued".

Now with 10,000km (about 7000 miles) on it, I began seeing significant feathering on the left edge of the left front wheel, so took it in again and requested the wheel alignment under warranty.

They did it, and rotated the tires (which part they charged me for) and hey presto, the noise is gone.

Left caster and camber were significantly out of spec, and obviously have been like that since day one when I first heard the noise.

speeddrive1
02-25-2006, 12:00
so now you have tires that have the edges worn off of them when the dealer should have checked alignment right away.

rob from bc canada
02-25-2006, 19:53
I guess that is true, it is a question of what is reasonable, and what degree of "pefection" we insist on and thus all end up paying for.

I see it as one of those things that would not happen in a perfect world, but does in this one.

The dealer's shop foreman did test-drive the truck when I first complained, and was convinced the sound was normal tire noise.

The wear in question is exceedingly minor, so it is acceptable to me.

The intention of posting my results was not to complain, but so others could avoid the wear and tear if they are having the same problem.

SC Duck Hunter
02-27-2006, 07:08
I have an 06' GMC 2500 HD CC 4 x 4. I haven't had any problems yet, but I asked a buddy of mine who has an 05' Chevy 2500 HD CC 2wd about his truck and if he had any problems with his before I bought mine. He said his front end bearings went out and had to be replaced @ 17,000 miles and he knows of 2 other people with the same truck who had the same problem before their trucks turned over 20,000 miles. Warranty wouldn't cover it b/c they were all running non-stock tires (285 BFG AT's or smaller). Sounds like something there should be a recall on if this problem is ocurring on so many HD's.