PDA

View Full Version : Spin on trans filter change cost at dealer

L decker
02-15-2006, 19:34
Hello,
I was wondering what you guys are paying for a spin on trans filter change at the dealer. Today I paid $79.18, not including sales tax for the service on my new truck? They charged $24.73 for the part and $49.50 for labor. I do not remeber paying that much on my 03. To me that sounds way high. They also charged me $3.50 for 2 qts of ATF. Does it really need 2 qts? Thanks in advance for your feedback, Larry

2002GMC Durabeast
02-16-2006, 14:23
At that price, I bet they even offered you a FREE cup of coffee!!!
WOW! Heck yes that is a lot of money. That filter has to be the easiest thing to change out. As far as the 2 qts of tranny fluid, you were low to begin with or they ripped you off twice! The filter only holds about 12 oz's of fluid.

Kennedy
02-16-2006, 14:25
Real simple install. When changed in conjunction with an engine oil change, the labor should be next to nothing.

durapontimax
02-18-2006, 15:25
Find an ALLISON dealer, or repair shop. I think I paid $9.00 for my last spin on filter.

David Proske
02-19-2006, 06:41
I made a post the other day about the dealers being STEELERS. This is another example...

Budhole3
02-20-2006, 19:01
Got bent over too, just a week and a half ago. $70.00 labor + price of allison filter, in conjunction with an oil change and tire rotation. I was told this was the new book price. I told them it was the bend over price. I liked the convenience, but I'll make my own time next to do it myself. It took me 15 minutes the last time I did it at home.

Oh yeah, they forgot to change me tire pressures when they moved them from front to rear. Too bad, I liked the dealership up until this point.

Stealership...that's too funny!

BozDMAX
03-01-2006, 07:44
Find an Allison dealer in your area and buy half a dozen for less than you just spent to change one. Every oil change, while waiting for the oil to drain, I pull the external Allison filter (including magnet!) and spin on a new filled one. Add a couple ounces down the dipstick/filler and I am good to go.

That is probably an anal level of maintenance, but it is cheap, allows me to take a look at the fluid every 5-10K and inspecting the magnet gives you a some idea how things are wearing.

Might take 5 minutes, but it would be spent watching oil flow out of a Fumoto drain valve anyway...

IdahoBassman
03-01-2006, 12:19
I agree that the dealer is adding too much mark up to the spin on filter. I bought mine from the Allison dealer for $9.00. Also the dealer is only paying about the same for them.

Here is a place where you can buy this filter from GM online for about $12 plus shipping.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

part# 29539579

Hope this helps

Idaho Bassman

Mark Rinker
03-01-2006, 19:25
After buying my '05 new, I was trying to establish a service history at the advice of the Service Manager (who happens to be my ex-wife's boyfriend, but thats another story altogether) in case I ever needed 'help' with warranty work.

I dropped off the truck at 25K miles and said something to the effect of "...the truck pulls a trailer plus 6-8 thousand lbs 90% of the time. Please service all necessary fluids, filters, rotate tires and inspect brakes while you are at it."

Here's what I got - for $900.

Synthetic oil and filter
Air filter
Fuel filter
Complete tranny flush with both internal and external filters, conventional fluid
Front and rear diffs changed, sythetic
Transfer case changed, synthetic
Chassis lube
No rotation (they forgot)
Brake inspection ("brakes are fine")

I voted with my feet, and haven't been back since. I didn't even bitch at the Service Manager...the poor guy should at least be allowed to enjoy his peaceful days at work :)

IdahoBassman
03-02-2006, 14:32
Good story, love your sense of humor.

JohnC
03-02-2006, 15:12
Sheeh, Mark, my wife got 2 new U-joints plus all that stuff for only $850! Oh, they forgot to change the engine oil, though...

I think they washed it, too!

Mark Rinker
03-02-2006, 17:32
Hmmm...how well do you know the Service Manager? How well does your WIFE know him?

JohnC
03-03-2006, 08:40
Hmmm...how well do you know the Service Manager? How well does your WIFE know him?
I don't know him at all. With only 4,000 miles, I haven't needed to acquaint myself. She can't know him that well, at $100 each for the %^*&(@# U-joints... And no %^*&(@# grease fittings, either! :mad: