PDA

View Full Version : Tow/Haul - Engine Braking ??

rob from bc canada
02-16-2006, 20:25
When coming down from our local ski-hill on a long 10-15% grade (just a couple of people and no other load) I have tried using the tow-haul button to engage engine braking. Speed coming down would be around 80 kmh = 50 mph

It engages promptly, but then as I go down, it downshifts another gear, fairly screams, and actually slows the truck down to around 50k = 30mph.

Is there a way to get the benefit of some engine braking without it downshifting some more? Is there a way to get it to hold 4th instead of going to 3rd?

Also, when I want to speed up a bit again, even if I release the tow-haul mode, I have to step on it quite vigorously to get it to up-shift again. Is there a way to get it to release more easily??

I have also noticed that sometimes on a fairly shallow down-grade at 90-100 kmh = 60mph even WITHOUT engaging tow-haul a light tap or two on the brakes will cause a downshift, and sometimes it won't.

Is there any way to make that happen predictably on command??

Turbo Al
02-21-2006, 13:33
Hi Rob,
Everything you describe is pretty much on par with what my 2001 does. To get a more consistant engagement without the pressing the button try keeping your foot lightly on the brake for more than 5 seconds and it should kick in every time. It is sad that GM never bothered to give up a shift indicator with ALL the gears on it -- it would be usefull for holding 4th.
Al

rob from bc canada
02-22-2006, 07:28
Thanks for that clue

I'll give that 5 second thing a try next time out. I assume that would work only above 50mph when the tranny is locked up?

The remaining concern to resolve would be how to disengage it without stomping it almost all the way to the floor!!!