PDA

View Full Version : REAR TIRE CLEARANCE

Willy B
02-18-2006, 11:55
I WAS WONDERING HOW MUCH CLEARANCE SHOULD THERE BE BETWEEN THE REAR TIRES ON 3500 DULLY. I HAVE A 2001 3500 WITH 235/85R/16 MICHLINS AND I DONT'T HAVE A LOT OF CLEARANCE, THEY ARE NOT TOUCHING BUT MAY WITH A LOAD. I PULL A 37' MONTANA FIFTH WHEEL. :confused:

SoTxPollock
02-22-2006, 10:19
Had those on my dully, there is only about 3/8" clearance. If you run the pressure down too low and load it down, they will touch and generate extra heat. Not a good thing. Always run enough tire pressure to keep them from touching, If they are E rated just don't go over the 80 psig. With a 37' Montana they should be E.

Heartbeat Hauler
02-28-2006, 14:54
Yeah what SoTXPollock siad. Also, when you are loaded and just sitting still you may have clearance, but once you start rolling down the highway at speed and you start to bounce because of bumps or uneven pavement the sidewalls are gonna flex. So, the clearance you see sitting still may actually go away once you start moving. You might be able to get a 1/4" spacer in there without changing wheel studs (may not be enough lug thread left), but if you can't, you'll have to go up to the 2" spacers that bolt to the inner wheel, and then use it's own studs to bolt the outter wheel on. This larger spacer allows you to keep your existing studs without cutting them. The other option is to use a 1/2" spacer and install new wheel studs (14mm x 2") in the rear axles....PITA.
JP

rjwest
03-01-2006, 17:07
Same clearence on my 96, when on stock rims,
rub with a 3k amper,
Alum rims are thicker, by about 5/8-3/4 inch
no problem when loaded.