PDA

View Full Version : Dome override button

durapontimax
02-18-2006, 08:12
Hello to everyone, probley not the correct place to ask this but I forgot my password to get into the forum. I have seen two guys now that turn off there head lights with the dome override button. Mine does not work, any one know why??

jbplock
02-19-2006, 04:20
On my 03 the headlights can be disabled by turning the headlight switch CCW. The last detent is a momentary postion which springs back. Tuning the switch CCW to this position toggles the head lights on and off - a yellow LED next to the switch also comes on when they are disabled .. I use it to signal truckers and RV's that's it's safe to change lanes after they pass.

smile.gif

StrangeEngine
02-19-2006, 14:23
Originally posted by durapontimax:
Hello to everyone, probley not the correct place to ask this but I forgot my password to get into the forum. I have seen two guys now that turn off there head lights with the dome override button. Mine does not work, any one know why?? On my '02, if you cycle the Dome Override switch 4 times (on-off-on-off), you'll get chimes and the DRLs will be disabled. This allows you to manually dip the lights to signal truckers, etc.

You'll need to do this every time you start the truck. PITA.

- Mark

durapontimax
02-19-2006, 19:41
Originally posted by StrangeEngine:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by durapontimax:
Hello to everyone, probley not the correct place to ask this but I forgot my password to get into the forum. I have seen two guys now that turn off there head lights with the dome override button. Mine does not work, any one know why?? On my '02, if you cycle the Dome Override switch 4 times (on-off-on-off), you'll get chimes and the DRLs will be disabled. This allows you to manually dip the lights to signal truckers, etc.

You'll need to do this every time you start the truck. PITA.

- Mark </font>[/QUOTE]

durapontimax
02-19-2006, 19:49
Thanks Mark, I looked in the owners man. twice and dident see that, but I did the 3rd time. I have an 02 also, forgot to mention that in my first post. Thanks again

durapontimax
02-20-2006, 17:13
Well, I had a chance to try it tonight and guess what, it did not work. I plow snow with this truck and would like to be able to turn them off when plowing to save on the batteries and charging system. I forgot to mention in my first post that the truck is an 02 GMC D/A crew cab. Any body have any ideas??? Thanks Randy

SoTxPollock
02-22-2006, 10:09
You have to do the 4 times on/off button within 5 seconds or it doesn't work, also it resets each time you click the remote locks, or start the engine. Mine always works. Try not pushing it in all the way. I've found mine works best if you just tap it in about 1/4" or so real fast.

pontimax
03-05-2006, 14:37
Anybody have an idea why this dosent work on my truck? The truck was built in Canada, but I think for the US because it has American symbles on the dash. Somebody said if built for Can. you cant turn them off. If thats what it is, any way to rewire to make this work? Thanks Randy

crafty
03-06-2006, 11:13
I can't turn off my headlights either. The dome overide does not work on vehicles built for Canada. Mine came off the line in Pontiac.

DmaxMaverick
03-06-2006, 13:40
Anybody have an idea why this dosent work on my truck? The truck was built in Canada, but I think for the US because it has American symbles on the dash. Somebody said if built for Can. you cant turn them off. If thats what it is, any way to rewire to make this work? Thanks Randy

If you are talking about an OEM equipped Duramax truck, it wasn't built in Canada. A stragety for selling vehicles, when there is a monetary advantage, vehicles are purchased in Canada, at a much lower price than can be had in the US. The vehicles are then outfitted with US instrumentation and emmissions programming, then resold in the US. If this is the case with your truck, the rest of the electronics would still operate on the Canadian requirements. It sounds like your truck may fall into this category.

Turbo Al
03-07-2006, 11:11
From Canada EH!
Yes your truck was built in the good old USA, but in Canada it is manditory to have your DLR's on during the day time. The only cheap option you have is removing the fuse, I do this when I am hunting.

It is located under the hood in the main fuse panel -- drivers side on fender well. You should be able to see it's location on the back of the fuse panel cover -- it is a 10 amp in the bottom right hand side of panel beside the A/C relay.
Al

pontimax
03-07-2006, 14:47
Somehow I think we got confused, DLR'S are the daytime driving lights correct? Those go out at night when the auto head lights come on, I want to turn off my head lights at night when I am plowing. If I have to put in a switch thats OK, but where would I tap into the head light wires? Thanks Randy

Turbo Al
03-08-2006, 10:43
Sorry DLR in previous post was a typo -- corrected to DRL

O.K. the headlights (HDLP's right and left) are controlled by the photosensor on the middle of the dash (by the windshield).

There is a seperate 15 amp fuse for each headlight (just to the left of DRL fuse) so it might be easier to put a switch on the photosensor. I do not know what fuse controls the photosensor.
Al