PDA

View Full Version : TheDieselPage.com's Duramax Power Project

More Power
01-03-2004, 15:47
This new forum is here to keep you informed as to where we currently are in the TheDieselPage.com's Duramax Power Project buildup, and to have a place where we can ask you questions concerning engine/drivetrain or truck setup. Many of you are now or have been involved in some sort of amateur or professional racing, or are knowledgeable in this area, and your input would be invaluable.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2-1610.jpg

Click on the following links to see more.
http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2-5.htm
http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2-16.htm

More Power!!!

[ 12-29-2005, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

CleviteKid
01-03-2004, 18:08
Hey MP:

I predict this will quickly become the most popular Forum of the bunch. Lots of us are cheering you on, hoping you will finally have a little red truck of your own to put The Clevite Kid in his place . . . but wait, The Kid has acquired Nitrous Oxide, and he's gonna mix it with propane (in the manifold, not in the bottle!). Maybe move the batteries to the bed, and grab a set of sticky tires . . . . .

But don't you guys go betting against MP, he can work on his project a lot more than I can work on mine - things like keeping you Texans safe from your local Nuclear Power Plant always seem to get in the way for me.

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/person/pilot.gif

[ 01-04-2004, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: CleviteKid ]

WhiteDuramax
01-04-2004, 13:56
Whose tranny upgrades are you using, also what are you going to be using for upgraded power? Just wondering.

More Power
01-04-2004, 17:45
The engine/trans will be run as close to stock as possible during the initial testing phase. This is to establish a baseline.

Then we'll begin adding power. A variety of products will be used for a variety of reasons. My guess is we'll use both a programmer and either an Edge Attitude or a VanAaken at about 250 hp. The programmer will be used to alter engine governed RPM and speedo limits - in addition to diagnostics and to reduce/eliminate defueling during upshifts.

Eventually, nitrous and propane will be added.

The Allison will be upgraded once we find the limits of its torque handling ability - in this truck. Some expect the Allison will handle more power in our application than it does in a 2001-04 truck because it will be so much lighter. Right now, Suncoast looks good for upgrades.

MP

matt-max
01-04-2004, 18:17
thanks for keeping us abreast. i know you have other responsibilities but the too few and far between updates were keeping me in too much suspense.

truck looks awesome in the above pic. always loved the 'sport' look that never seemed to catch on with the chevy but did so well with the dodges.

matt

DieselEnvy
01-08-2004, 18:56
Great to see the new forum MP! I've been "jonesin'" for some more updates on this project. :D

Dr. Lee, I can't wait to make it to another rendezvous.......I've gotta take another ride in your truck once you get your "drugs"! :cool:

Heartbeat Hauler
10-21-2004, 06:34
I just saw the DD Power Project in Truck Trend Magazine. Great article. Way to go Jim!!
JP
P.S. Jim, does this mean you are now famous? :D

More Power
10-21-2004, 11:35
Thanks HH, Infamous maybe.... :D It's a kick doing this once in a while. Look for another installment to appear in Truck Trend (http://trucktrend.com/toc/thismonth/) sometime early next year.

MP

[ 12-03-2004, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

Heartbeat Hauler
10-29-2004, 05:25
Jim,
Is the Duramax engine heavier or lighter than the 6.5TD or the big block gas engine? Just wondering how the front suspension is holding up if the Dmax is heavier.
JP

More Power
10-29-2004, 11:24
JP, Due to extensive use of aluminum, the Duramax 6600 winds up being nearly the same weight as a fully equipped 6.5TD - ~835-lbs or within 10-20 lbs, if I remember correctly. The 1500 series trucks and Suburbans were offered with the 6.5TD/4L80-E, so the added weight isn't a big deal for this chassis. Although, the Duramax/Allison is definately heavier than the 5.7L gasser/TH700R4 that it replaced...

Other than leveling the front with a minor torsion bar adjustment, no height adjustment was made, and the front suspension is not on the bump stops.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be driving this truck to MI next summer. smile.gif

MP

Heartbeat Hauler
10-29-2004, 15:28
Cool. I was wondering if you had to go to a big block spring or aftermarket spring to keep that puppy from wanderin' around on the highway.
JP

More Power
10-30-2004, 10:18
It tracks straight & true at all speeds and generally handles pretty darn well.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/track04.jpg

Ride quality.... The front suspension does a good job, but the rear is quite a bit lighter since removing the spare tire & related hardware, rear bumper and original receiver hitch. The combination of a weight bias shift to the front with the new powertrain, less weight in the rear, low profile tires and a stiff set of Bilsteins at all four corners, cause the ride quality in the rear to be less than ideal unless some ballast weight is added.

I did install a set of Summit lowering shackles to the rear of the rear leaf springs to lower the rear ~2". I'd still like to get the rear another inch or so lower, and may install new front spring perches for the rear leaves to get that.

When all this was in the planning stages, I considered 3/4 ton front torsion bars, but at this point in time I think the original torsion bars are fine the way they are.

MP

Heartbeat Hauler
11-04-2004, 08:47
With the rear being light and all that torque, seems like smoky burnouts are the order of the day. Does it have a hard time gaining traction or do you feather it out of the hole...or starting out at a traffic light for that matter?
JP

More Power
11-04-2004, 09:36
Smoky brakestand posi burnouts are all too easy, but adding throttle while rolling transfers the weight to the rear pretty quickly (due to a short wheelbase). The relatively wide Goodyear tires also do a good job under most situations, but an extra 150 extra horsepower (or more) requires 4WD for 0-60's or 1/4-miles. On the Spokane track, a 2WD run resulted in too much wheelspin for a good time.

JK has been a big help in refining launch technique and in finding a set of traction bars for this half-ton truck. I'll have a product review before long showing the bolt-on bars (which are also made for the 2500HD). Great quality, powder coated hardware...

As I've learned, a good launch technique can make the difference between a 12 second run and a 13 second run - regardless of how much power the engine produces.

MP

G. Gearloose
12-21-2004, 09:49
Cool stuff!
If you hadn't already; consider poly sway bar links and bushings - made a big improvement on my 1500.

Also consider rancho Rs9000 shocks (5-speed) you can turn the damping way down for track launches to get good 'bow rise' and weight transfer, then turn them back for the ride home. One more thing to dink with!

Turbo Al
04-24-2005, 10:05
I just saw the "Little Red Truck" (Jim too!)at BD's Dyno Days and it is a really sweet ride. The pictures of this truck really don't do it justise. Jim Parked it in the show and shine line up and it really looked like a S-15 when put side by side with the jacked up Dodges.
All and all a VERY sweet ride and CONGRADS to Jim (and his many advisors)for all the time and effort put into this truck -- it got more than it's fair share of attention from the Dodge and Ford fans.
As a side note my 01 pulled 248.8 RWHP -- completely stock -- even the stock air cleaner because the K&N hadn't dried out from the washing I gave it the day before. This is almost the same HP I got when it was new. I am not sure if I am sure if I am still running winter blend fuel.
Al

Kennedy
04-24-2005, 16:07
Sounds like he put down some pretty good power #'s too! ;)

More Power
04-25-2005, 07:45
Got home late last night.....

JK sent me one of his VanAaken's modules with the big program (actually picked it up in Everett, WA - on the way over), but last minute details usually conspire. I didn't have a spare electrical harness for the VanAaken, so I borrowed the harness from my GMC to use with Lil Red. I could not use the switch I use in the GMC because it is built in, so we ran it on the dyno without one. We thought it might default to the high setting..... but now know it defaults to the low setting (170 hp). However, Lil Red still produced 420 on #2 and 470 with nitrous (size 51 jet).

Lil Red was the highest recorded Duramax that I remember seeing data for, other than BD's truck. The high power trucks all ran last - late in the day, with Lil Red being last in that mix. It was impressive seeing this little 1/2 ton lift the front suspension a few inches as it leaned into the rollers..... and roared! The Caltracs worked great, as did the low profile tires! Got pics of it spinning the rollers...... :D

Will have pics and full coverage of BD's Dyno Day available sometime before the next web site update. There are some LB7 turbocharger mods coming from BD that will make a big difference. I'll show you what they're working on. Great stuff!

Thanks for your help JK, and it was good seeing Turbo Al again. smile.gif

MP

tpitt
04-25-2005, 10:49
Jim,
Sorry I missed you. I left around 2 PM Friday. I had to meet a friend of mine in Olympia. If I would have known for sure you were coming I would have made different arrangements. I felt a little out of place with my VW. I don't think my 177 ftlbs torque would impress any one. I did get 45 mpg on way home though. :D Terry

Kennedy
04-25-2005, 13:06
Yeah, VA has the big one programmed bass-ackwards so that if the switch is removed it will not default to full power. If a certain someone would have dropped off the harness at your place like he said he was going to... :rolleyes:

Actually, last minute things like this invariably have bugs. Had I known that the same certain someone wasn't going to send a box in time for updating, I wouldn't have delayed in the shipping. Still, 470RWHP is a very respectable number and leaves room for lots of imnprovement for next year! :D

More Power
04-25-2005, 14:32
Yes, it'll spin harder next time, but 470 is still a great number. :D

MP

[ 12-29-2005, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

Tough Guy
04-25-2005, 16:26
It just goes to show you, if you want it done right you have to do it yourself... :rolleyes:

Sorry I let both of my biggest fans down... :(

Next year, there's always next year... ;)

Cheers

Kennedy
04-26-2005, 04:54
Originally posted by Tough Guy:
It just goes to show you, if you want it done right you have to do it yourself... :rolleyes:

Sorry I let both of my biggest fans down... :(

Next year, there's always next year... ;)

Cheers I knew you'd get out of bed sooner or later... :D

MP and I discussed it and the next time Elaine and I are in MT we'll all get together and you can buy us all (MP and MJ incl) dinner to make up for it. :cool:

[ 04-26-2005, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

Turbo Al
05-01-2005, 09:42
Well let's just call it a "Senior moment" I dug up the Dyno sheet from when my truck was new (5,000 miles) and it was 239.0 RWHP the one just done at BD's (35,000 miles) was 248.8 RWHP so net gain was 10 RWHP on a stock truck.

Uncle Wally
07-26-2005, 16:35
MP,

How much power is lost through the T-Case? Less than 1%? Just curious what a 2wd might do if someone could get it to hook up.

Waldo

More Power
07-26-2005, 19:48
UW, I had sorta planned early in the game to run in 2WD if the front diff wasn't up to the task. Now, I think it'll hold on as long as the launches don't get too crazy. 2WD would require wide slicks and more launch talent in this short wheelbase truck. 4WD seems a lot easier.

As far as power loss through the txfer case and front diff, it does make a difference - about .2 seconds when running with just a 150 Edge/Att, with quicker times coming in 4WD but higher traps speeds in 2WD. You can read more about it in part I & II of the Truck Trend (http://trucktrend.com/features/tech/163_0412_duramaxpart1/) articles.

I'm still working out some details with the ATS trans and learning more about how everything works together to make power and run quick, but I should know more in a couple of weeks. smile.gif

Jim

Leon Saucier
01-25-2006, 17:53
Guys,

We're doing a repower project on a boat and would like to use the Duramax Diesels for the power source. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I might find a wiring harness and ECM to control the motors as independent power units?
I saw in a search where someone had performed this project on a 26' but I'm unable to locate the owner, any help is aprreciated !!