PDA

View Full Version : Tuning on the LLY

Kennedy
02-02-2006, 06:06
So after playing with EFI Live for a bit I've made some pretty decent progress. While I did write a big race tune, I also made some lesser HP tow safe tunes that should really do well. The Performance-tow tune shown below actually has VERY little added fuel in it while the economy-tow has even less yet. These aren't going to win any performance awards, BUT we need to stay below the 700 lb/ft mark for the stock transmission. You'll notice that both tunes finish harder than the stock tune which rolls off hard as RPM's climb. This should help nicely against those pesky stoplight racers etc...

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/photogal/images/dyno_KD_Custom_Tow_Tunes.jpg

Kennedy
02-02-2006, 06:09
Here's the race tune in it's present form. I'm still honing it, but it works quite well so far:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/photogal/images/KD_Custom_Race_Tune.jpg

madmatt
02-02-2006, 06:29
Sweet tunes. Is that w/just the efilive or w/ any other mods (boost stick, intake, etc....)

Kennedy
02-02-2006, 07:12
Otherwise stock except for the EFI Live/KD exhaust.

SoTxPollock
02-02-2006, 10:11
I wondered how long it would take you. I'm impressed. I thought of downloading the software, but not really knowing what needed changing where and what its affect might be until it was tried, stopped me. I don't have a dyno like you do. So is the idea to burn these to a CD and sell to those with a lap top, or are you going to offer a download to a scan2. What are your thoughts. I know not everyone has a lap top with the proper connections, let alone a scan2. An enterprising guy like yourself might just offer a complete package with downloads from your web site as you tweek and store the programs and let us try and see what feels the best for our particular situation. I would think one would want with stock trans, a tow program, an running empty ultra fuel mileage, and a performance for saturday night drags. With a stage 5 SC who knows what one might want? I see a lot potential. If I wans't so busy....Am I thinking on the right track here?

Kennedy
02-02-2006, 15:05
At this point in time I'll be doing exchange ECM's. They will be switchable bewteen A and B tunes. This is the only way to keep the tunes proprietary for now.

BMDMAX
02-07-2006, 07:05
I am very happy with John's tune on the LLY. Runs very strong and I am hoping for a great showing at the Suncoast dyno event.

Kennedy
02-07-2006, 16:49
Be sure to take your laptop with you. I'll be on the dyno Friday and may have something worth trying...

ALMOST makes the LLY drive like the LB7 doesn't it?

BMDMAX
02-07-2006, 18:33
I sure get that nitrous like smile when that 1000 foot pounds of torque ramps in.....

It made driving home in the rain the other day very entertaining. I really had to resist the urge to do some donuts with it like some silly high school kid... :D

jjgmc
02-07-2006, 21:54
John is this the same tune you had when Aaron and I rode in your truck?

Kennedy
02-08-2006, 10:43
No, that one was quite a bit less power than this one....

Inspector
02-09-2006, 10:16
John:
I was reading on the other place that a certain person is concerned and is stirring up quite a todo about the dowel pins in the crank pulley stub and the cam drive pulley stubs. Do you have any concerns about your high horsepower and torque production in regards to these pins shearing or near shear off causeing a shift in cam timeing or a catostrophic failure or is this a cry of wolf?
Denny

madmatt
02-09-2006, 10:52
I've sheared the cam dowls in big HP gas engines and now double dowl them, but I don't think these low rpm engines need'em. I've never heard of anyone twisting a gear off in a duramax so I'm calling it a wolf cry.

Kennedy
02-09-2006, 11:23
I think that it could well be very serious issue/defect in our engines, but how many will actually fail remains to be seen. Probably very few. I won't lose sleep over it, but it is a concern and something I would definitely address if I were in a teardown situation.

madmatt
02-09-2006, 11:31
upon further investagation into the concern I must say I was amazed at what I saw. I've never seen one that jacked up. I think a better fix would be to add a second dowl. I don't like keys. I wouldn't tear an engine down to check it out but if I had it out already..... I know when these fail in gas engines they make a serious mess.

Trippin
02-12-2006, 08:32
Great job John!

Kennedy
02-14-2006, 07:33
Thanks Guy,

The LLY finally runs and responds like a Hot Juiced LB7 only less smoke and even a bit more responsive with a earlier TQ peak.

The real beauty is that you can hardly tell the difference between the Race tune and the lesser units until you really call for the power. We'll be getting the switchable setup to Brandon soon although from the sound of it, He/Dayle will seldom use anything but the high HP tune.

Dave S
02-14-2006, 12:40
I currently have about 400 miles of windshield time running JK

Kennedy
02-14-2006, 20:36
We put Brandon er uh Dayle up at 471RWHP at Suncoast this past weekend with this tune! Not bad, beat the heck out of everything but the big mod stuff!

Bob O
02-14-2006, 21:48
When are you going to run it at the track?

Kennedy
02-15-2006, 06:08
Next weekend Brandon plans to run it at the 1/8 mile track I believe.

BMDMAX
02-15-2006, 06:35
We did 471HP and 990 foot pounds of TQ with the tune on the Dynojet. I am really enjoying this tune as a daily driver. Great street manners, smooth power delivery and it makes a great tow tune IMHO if you have a trans to back it up.

Absolutely no problems getting the load moving and it really does not take much pedal to get 10K moving along smartly. EGT's towing ranged from 900 to 1100 degrees and even stepping into it on the bigger hills to see what it would do yielded 1200 degrees. Running boost was nice and solid at 20 pounds. We got 11.3 on the high MPG towing between 70 and 80 MPH the whole way. I think this tune easily outperforms the Juice for towing.

Again, this is the first LLY program that really gets me to a LB7 like performance. Excellent work John! Only four trucks outperformed this tune at Suncoast with some pretty heavy duty mods with two of them being Pro Street race trucks and of course my LB7.

The only other LLY curve was still short of this one even running propane. Looking forward to getting the LLY to the track to see what it will do. :cool:

Dave S
02-16-2006, 05:30
The more I drive these tunes the more I like them. They are smooth, predictable, and have excellent throttle response, almost like driving a gasser except with much more grunt. So much grunt, that unless I

Kennedy
02-16-2006, 06:49
I'm actually working to detune the pedal sensitivity just a bit on the lower tunes as they can be a bit too responsive down low for those with a less aggressive driving style...

[ 02-16-2006, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

Dave S
02-16-2006, 09:30
Are you saying I might have an aggressive driving style?????? :D

That's funny, my mom accused me of the same thing about 20 years ago, and all this time I just thought she was crazy :eek:

Kennedy
02-16-2006, 18:01
I like it aggressive too. I think I'll offer it two ways. The primary issue is to be able to drive off without spinning when traction is limited and not have the whole truck jump when you hit a bump and nudge the pedal. Once you get used to the aggressive pedal it's quite easy to drive, byt equate it to speeing up the mouse substantially on your PC.

Mark Rinker
02-25-2006, 12:04
Looks like you have hit the nail on the head, John.

How much for a bundled 4-5" exhaust system and the switchable Performance/Economy Tow tunes for my '05 LLY?

Kennedy
02-25-2006, 12:17
That would run approx $1200 off the cuff.

Mark Rinker
02-26-2006, 10:54
Do you expect better towing fuel mileage with the 'ECONOMY' setting over stock? I'd be happy to use my '05 LLY as a test mule towing 25' gooseneck trailer and 6-8K loads with the 'ECONOMY' setting. As long as the overall towing mileage was better - I'd buy that tune.

I may have asked this before, but is it possible to have the ECONOMY towing tune engaged only when TOW/HAUL is activated, and stock programming otherwise?

Kennedy
02-26-2006, 13:06
Brandon has been knocking down 11mpg with his LLY on the race tune. This is an improvement for him with this same load.

As for which tune is used when, we have a simple toggle switch that will take care of this.