PDA

View Full Version : We're Moving!

More Power
02-03-2006, 18:02
We're getting a new BB web server and hosting service, as well as new bulletin board software. This is not just an upgrade, but a whole new bulletin board forum operating system produced by vBulletin. Once the switch has been made and the bugs have been worked out, we'll add a member photo album feature, where you can upload photos to our server to display here in your posted messages. We'd planned to do this last year, but it's taken this long to work through a few host/ISP issues that kept getting in the way.

All of the existing forum threads, posted messages and member registrations will be imported into the new software. Nothing should be lost.

The exact schedule hasn't been worked out yet, but we'll keep you posted about the progress, and will provide a schedule of downtime as the conversion/setup/restart takes place. We'll get the new BB software operational on the new server well in advance, which should allow for just a short period of downtime. The URL address for the board may change. The "look" of the board will definitely change…

Jim

Kennedy
02-06-2006, 07:29
Sounds great!

LanduytG
02-06-2006, 08:47
Good job MP, we will be looking forward to it.

Greg

trbankii
02-06-2006, 13:11
Sounds great! It should really take these discussions to the next level.

john8662
02-06-2006, 13:36
yee-haw!

DmaxMaverick
02-06-2006, 14:37
Originally posted by john8662:
yee-haw! Sorry, John....It won't be runnin' on a Mac :D

john8662
02-07-2006, 14:35
Sorry, John....It won't be runnin' on a Mac :D Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, ain't running on daaaawwwwwsss either ;)

More Power
02-17-2006, 08:38
The new BB is operational on the new server, but a few tweaks need to be made before we can make the switch. A big thanks to DmaxMaverick.. :D

I imagine the official migration will occur sometime next week. In the meantime, here are a few things you can do to prepare.

1- If you have a special avatar, you'll need to save it to your hard drive - use the right-click, save as function. Once you get on the new board, you can edit your profile, and add the avatar yourself by uploading it to the new server. The process is pretty simple.

2- All of the existing forum threads were "closed" by default during the move. The moderators will open many of the threads, but if you find a thread that you want to post in, but find it is closed, let a moderator know. All of the existing moderators will be moderators on the new board.

3- Links to other threads in the BB may not work in the new board. If you posted that link, please either let a moderator know so he can make the correction, or you can edit the link yourself in the posts that you made.

4- We've tried to emulate most features available here in the new board. There will be differences, and we're considering changing or offering more features in the new board (the new software offers more). Our goal now is to get the new board operational with similar functions and features available here now.

5- We'll get a photo album installed in the near term, but it may lag behind the board opening for a time. Getting a photo album for members to use is a high priority - right behind making the transition.. :)

6- The new vBulletin software is faster, offers more features, offers better security and provides improved backup options. Should be fun!

Thanks,

Jim

Onebigcanuck
03-01-2006, 21:28
What a big surprise, I had to go looking for my password and than remembered I had always wanted to change it to one I can remember rather than the assigned one.

Looks good

DmaxMaverick
03-01-2006, 21:38
........and while you're in the changing stuff mood....Go to your user options (user CP at top of page) and edit your signature. If you had an avatar, you'll have to reload that, too. Welcome back!