PDA

View Full Version : New Bulletin Board is Online!

More Power
02-23-2006, 13:21
Hello All,

The New Bulletin Board (http://72.22.76.69/tdpforum/index.php?) is now operational... http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

May be a few bugs, but you can let us know what needs attention....

Please make all new posts here in this board. Any posts made from this point on in the old board may not get moved... Your forum registration should work for you here as well.

If you have different login & display names, you may need to login using your display name instead of your original "login" name. The "Lost Password" function on the new board should work for you if there's any confusion. You may also have to edit your signature file to correct any issues. Importing all of the forum data from one BB format into a completely new BB operating system went pretty smoothly (thanks in large part to DmaxMaverick), but there could be a few little issues that'll need to be addressed.

The import of all the original forum threads defaulted to "Closed" when added to the new BB. The Forum Moderators will begin opening many of the closed threads (going back a ways in time), but if you find a closed thread that should be open, contact a moderator for that forum to help you.

Several other changes were incorporated at the same time as the move... Forum access and PM's are now open... We'll see how it goes.... Soon, we'll be incorporating a photo album system for all registered members. More features and more member access!

Jim

DmaxMaverick
02-23-2006, 14:11
Everything should be up and running at this point. If anything doesn't look right, or doesn't work for you, don't hesitate to drop me or Jim an email.

One thing you should do is update your member profile. It's likely your signature won't look right. The formats between the BB's are very different, and some formatting is incompatible, like the signatures. It's easy to do, just make changes that look right as you see it, and it'll update correctly, and is retro-active to all your posts.

Welcome aboard! Again.....

Whew!!

ronniejoe
02-23-2006, 15:03
I had links to my articles in my signature on the other board. These are not correct now, but I'm not sure how to change it. I'll keep digging!

DmaxMaverick
02-23-2006, 15:08
I had links to my articles in my signature on the other board. These are not correct now, but I'm not sure how to change it. I'll keep digging!

You should be able to correct that in your user control panel. At the top of the page, you find a "quick links" drop down menu (if your browser supports it), and you can select "edit signature". HTML is not allowed, but you can put your links in plain text. The BB software should format it correctly. Just be sure you have no characters other than spaces before/after the complete URL. Try that and get back.

ronniejoe
02-23-2006, 15:20
I got it! Changed to the WYSIWYG editor and it was easy!:D

BMDMAX
02-23-2006, 16:56
Congrats on the new format! Glad to see it up and running. :)

Tough Guy
02-23-2006, 18:58
Looks good....We need the "Custom User Title" enabled...its cool.

More Power
02-23-2006, 22:32
Custom user titles are now enabled....;)

Tough Guy
02-23-2006, 23:27
Thanks alot!

moondoggie
02-24-2006, 07:07
Good Day!

Are there instructions somewhere for dummies? I can't figure out how to add emoticons (or whatever they're called) to my posts or edits.

Thanks & Blessings!

Brian Johnson

Mark Rinker
02-24-2006, 07:38
Very cool new look and some nice new features. Its like getting a new truck!

crafty
02-24-2006, 07:41
My join date, location etc. that is showing on the right side of some of the posts is not there. Is there something I can do or is that an Admin job?
Also, Jim, you took that pick of my truck coming off the line in the plant and we had it come up with my name. That was not showing in the posts that were copied over either.
Thanks,

I guess, on edit, all I had to do was to post soming to get the join info etc to work. I'll work on fixing the signiture.

Kennedy
02-24-2006, 08:48
I like it!

nvmtnlion
02-24-2006, 09:34
Nice!! Much cleaner look and feel!

arveetek
02-24-2006, 09:58
I like it very much!

Thanks Jim!

More Power
02-24-2006, 11:37
There appears to be two "Reply" buttons. The large "Post Reply" button includes more features, while the "Quick Reply" button offers less, but is faster.

The large "Post Reply" button can be found toward the left bottom of the thread, while the "Quick Reply" button icon is located inside the extreme lower right of each posted message as well as directly below the last message in the thread.

Otherwise, there is a Searchable FAQ (http://72.22.76.69/tdpforum/faq.php) that'll help answer most questions.

Jim

DmaxMaverick
02-24-2006, 11:58
Without going into too many details, it's not difficult. Some transfered content may be missing or appear different than it was originally posted on the old board. The reason is the coding format for much of the "extras". Images, attachments, and many signatures contained HTML and UBB code, which is not supported on this board. I have a cleaner to correct this, but it has some undesirable side effects that will likely cause more harm than help. I opted to not use the cleaner, and deal with the few issues as they surface.

If there is any missing images or content in posts, just reply, or edit your post and insert them. Please bare with us. With about 200,000 posts to handle (on a one file at a time process), there was no way I could make sure it was a carbon copy of the old board. Besides, what fun would that be? There will be some memberships, threads and posts that got dropped, but I did everything humanly possible to minimize this, within reason. Nothing is really lost, but may have been misplaced in the process. If you can't find something important to you, let me know, I may be able to locate it.

If you experience any issues you can't figure out, please contact me, Jim, or a moderator. This board has a simple way of doing just about anything, except make coffee (working on that one). It was designed to be user friendly, but it can't please everyone. We anticipated there would be some clean up to do.

Thanks for your patients!

Turbo Al
02-24-2006, 12:12
Very nice! I REALLY like the pre-read before opening the post.

Jim/DmaxMaverick, I started opening a "few" threads some will not turn yellow so I assume they were "locked" before the Site updates and should remain that way.

DmaxMaverick
02-24-2006, 12:34
Turbo Al....

PM me with those details and I'll look into it. I didn't see that when I looked over the threads.

More Power
02-24-2006, 12:34
A big round of applause for Greg...:D He's been the leader in the migration to vBulletin. I've been involved in setup and configuration... and answering the "Why can't I login?" emails....:)

Moderators will likely need to edit member posts where links are no longer pointing to the correct forum thread. Members can edit their own posts to do that as well.

We'll be changing the "look" of the board over the next few days, for things like graphics, colors and backgrounds. I would like to get the new board "looking" more like the old one, at least in the beginning, then build on that. The current "cool blue" template looks a little too sanitary for my tastes, and it looks a teensy bit too much like other vBulletin boards out there...:rolleyes: But it is cool!

Jim

trbankii
02-24-2006, 15:29
Congratulations! This is great!

So, are the old forums officially closed? Don't want to miss anything back there if some people are still posting on that board.

DmaxMaverick
02-24-2006, 16:05
There are still a couple folks still hanging around over there. Feel free to post for a while. Just keep in mind, I'm not importing any more posts, so anything you post from now on will eventually be gone. We haven't yet decided when the old board will be closed, but it will be soon.

MTTwister
02-24-2006, 17:22
This will take a little getting used to - Wasn't it converted on the other Board to actual Date - ( time c/h/b < could have been> iffy) ? Well now, wait a minute - Apparently, if it's older than Yesterday, then a Date shows up. But Yesterday is GMT's yesterday.

- Anyway, any Chance that it could be converted to each user's individual time zone? That shouldn't take too much programming! :D

I like the new board, BTW.

moondoggie
02-24-2006, 17:26
Good Day!

[i]

DmaxMaverick
02-24-2006, 17:39
This will take a little getting used to - Wasn't it converted on the other Board to actual Date - ( time c/h/b < could have been> iffy) ? Well now, wait a minute - Apparently, if it's older than Yesterday, then a Date shows up. But Yesterday is GMT's yesterday.

- Anyway, any Chance that it could be converted to each user's individual time zone? That shouldn't take too much programming! :D

I like the new board, BTW.

You can adjust your time settings in the "user control panel". Click on the "quick links" at the top of the page. There are several user-customizable settings you can select from.

dieseldummy
02-25-2006, 20:04
I've been waiting for the upgrade for quite some time now. The boards I frequent with vbulletin are much easier to navigate IMO. Good job guys!

Truck
02-25-2006, 22:25
whooohoo!!!! Much more user friendly...awesome..

Truck

Heartbeat Hauler
02-25-2006, 23:11
Outstanding!! Lookin' good JB.
JP

More Power
02-28-2006, 22:57
The old board has been toggled off.....:( But, there is a hot link on the old BB forum page that'll take everyone right here.... :D

Jim

SoTxPollock
03-01-2006, 14:37
Congrads on the upgrade. Always expect some problems. A salesman was by here yesterday, we got to talking cars. He a moderator on the Mustang Cobra website, just had to show it to me.
It looks identical to ours. I told him it looked just like the diesel page except BDMAX's truck is faster than his Mustang. He said he had seen some fast trucks and wondered who owned the Duramax out in the parking lot here.
He found out.

DickWells
03-01-2006, 22:20
Jim: My first reaction, (Tonight - first time I've been on since January) was, " Oh no, Jim. Say it isn't so!" But, like all things new, this too shall pass.
I've read through all four pages in this thread, and this old hill-billy does'nt understand one quarter of what has been said. Someone asked for instructions for dummies, and I need them just as badly.
I read and saved several of the newer articles successfully, then tried to do the same with the one on the 6.5 Suburban build-up, and kept getting a message that I was using the wrong user I.D. , or something. I had registered using the I. D. and password that you gave me when I renewed in January 06. Just did it tonight. Did it deny me because I had just registered, and not signed off and on again?
I think I did see a little faster reaction time in the new program.
Took me six years to get to functioning even at a semi literate level on the DP, and I'm hoping to better that record by about 90% with help from the membership.
On the road in sunny Brownsville, Texas.
Thanks, Dick Wells

JeepSJ
03-04-2006, 23:45
Love the new boards! Been away for a while and this was very nice to come back to.

One problem I'm having - I can't get images to display in my posts (not signature) when using the "" codes. For example...

http://linderfamily.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album02&id=exh7

It only shows as a link, not the actual image.

DmaxMaverick
03-05-2006, 01:23
The old UBB code won't work with vBulletin. You can use the "insert image" button to insert the image. If you don't have the button (as well as many others) on your post reply and editing page, go to your user options (user CP, at top of page) and select "edit options", then "advanced interface" at the bottom, in "misc. options". Once you have that, you'll be able to insert images, links, smilies, quotes, etc. with just a click. To insert a link, type the name/description of the link you wish to appear (or none if you want the link to appear as a URL), select the text of the name/description, then click the globe/chainlink icon (insert link). It will open text line and allow you type or paste the URL. The editor will automatically insert the link, and display your chosen name/description for it.

Keep in mind, none of the old UBB codes, or HTML codes, will work with vBulletin. You have to use vBulletin code, via the shortcuts. There are other ways to do it, but why complicate it? I know....That's a stupid question. Fix it 'til it's broke.:)

JeepSJ
03-06-2006, 12:27
Ahhhh - got it now. Thanks!:D

More Power
03-25-2006, 22:08
It's been a month now since the move to the new BB software. Anyone not able to access the BB or need help with some aspect of the many new features can email or PM myself or DmaxMaverick. We'd be glad to help...;)

Jim

john8662
04-04-2006, 22:31
Help..

OK, I've noticed that attachments are enabled on the forum now. Trouble is, when composing a new thread, I want to be able to use those attachments in the new thread (ex: an image) to be displayed in the thread. I don't want to have to click on them to open them, or have viewers of the thread having to click on another link to see the image. I might be missing something, but can't make it work.

I tried attaching a file, then copying the source for the attachment, then using the source in the code for the IMG tag, it doesn't work. Why? because the image won't have an extension in the link, no ".jpg".

Next up to bat, I've gotten stung by this more than once, but the limitation for only 4 images per thread post isn't cutting it. Otherwise i have to make replies to posts to get the images in the thread. I'm still hosting my own images (till I get the attachment thing solved). I vote 8 images, I usually size my images down drastically anyways...

Last, why can't I delete my own replies in posts? For example, if I post a reply to someone elses thread, and realize "hey, I posted in the wrong thread, or what I said has no relevance" I can't simply edit the post and have it delete. The option is sure there, but it doesn't actually work (for me). This was seen in the 6.5 forum...

More Power
04-06-2006, 12:59
We'll be adding a dedicated photo album and video upload area, which will operate like what you expect. Till then, you can add an attachment. I added one to this post. :)

Members and moderators can delete their own posts. However, Moderators are able to see deletion notices.

I'll look at the 4 images per post limitation. This is likely the default.

Jim

john8662
05-23-2006, 09:17
Preference was changed to allow attachments to be viewed in the forum, thanks!

Also, I noticed that the limitation on images per post has been increased, also another big help!

I REALLY like the Photo Album Too!

Thanks Jim and Greg!

Driveshaft
05-28-2006, 08:42
Gotta say, I said "Oh, no" also, but have grown accustomed and do like the new forum. Keep up the good work.