PDA

View Full Version : What's a used 6.2 worth?

Lightyear
02-24-2006, 07:32
Just in case I need to replace the lump due to internal chaos, what is a fair price on a used 6.2? I've seen one that caught my eye, but maybe is too good to be true: a 105K mile 1987 with a Banks setup for $1200. What should I look for in a used motor? What compression, oil pressure, other vitals? Thanks,

Buzz

BARRAZA
02-24-2006, 12:00
It is very hard to evaluate engines that are not installed in a driveable vehicle. At a minimum, the oil pressure and compression should be within spec and no odd noises present. Water leaks could indicate head gasket or crack problems. The turbo should be checked for excessive runout.

Without a complete teardown and inspection, an already removed engine should be priced at salvage or scrap value unless it comes with a warranty. Thats why I havent parted out the truck I am selling, I want the buyer to be able to drive it. You may be interested, check it out in the classified area, I am not to far from you.

Lightyear
02-25-2006, 18:48
Thanks. I did find a source with used 6.2s from HMMWVs, claims to have about 40K. Asking $1K. Or should I look into having mine redone? it's got 284K on it. Which ad is yours?

Buzz

BARRAZA
02-25-2006, 20:56
Rebuilding yours will cost two or three times the used one you mentioned. But be wary of the hmmwv takeouts, I've read that all are junk or that most are good, take your pick. There were dozens auctioned last month at the local military base, the day the auction ended they were just bid up to $50-$100 dollars or about the value of the shipping conntainer. If you buy one, make sure it has a warranty, my experience with mil stuff is that it is either new or broke. My ad is for the M1008, I really wanted to sell the drivetrain only and you can hear it run and drive it. I just listed it, so it is at the top of the for sale page. Also remember that hmmwv's have I think 5.29 gears so 40 k miles is not exactly like 40k civilian miles.

Lightyear
02-27-2006, 06:52
Barraza - thanks; that's really good info. There's a retired GM tech here who has offered to diagnose the noises in the engine, so I'm going to take him up on it to found out what's what. I didn't see your ad listed...has it not been posted yet? Or am I looking in the wrong place? If I do need to replace the lump, I might be interested in your 1008.

Buzz

BARRAZA
02-27-2006, 16:43
Heres my ad its in the classified section

http://72.22.76.69/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=22098