PDA

View Full Version : 3500 SRW to dual wheel conversion

Mark Rinker
02-24-2006, 11:29
Trucks #1 and #2 were factory ordered as single rear wheel (SRW) 1-ton cab chassis and outfitted with flatbed work bodies.

This summer I plan to haul large cruiser boats for hire up to 30' in length and will need the extra load carrying capacity of dual rear wheels under the gooseneck hitch.

I have already upgraded #2's rear leaf springs to a 'tow truck' or 'ambulance' rated 6 leaf stack - with Timbren overloads. I have had 4K of retaining wall block on the flatbed and it only sits level, but the tires were showing the strain.

If anyone has a complete set of dually wheels and/or tires that would fit this truck, or would like to trade theirs for my single wheel setup plus some cash, let me know. mark_rinker@hotmail.com

JoeyD
02-24-2006, 15:53
How much weight are the boats? Are you buying a hydo trailer?
I am not sure on the years but some gruman and P series vans used 19.5 in bud wheels with an 8 lug hub. 19.5's would be a nice choice for towing or even hauling heavy all the time.

Mark Rinker
02-26-2006, 19:59
Shopping used hydraulic trailers at present. Not sure of exact weights, but would estimate 12K is possible at the upper end, plus the weight of the trailer.

A purpose built K3500 dually Duramax will be used for any distance runs. K3500 6.5L will be used for Minneapolis metro area hauls, mostly because the truck is already set up for the extra pin weight.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll research the 19.5s further.

Uncle Wally
02-27-2006, 08:04
Mark,

I have a det of alcoa classics and steel wheels for a 88-98 dually. Right now there are tires on the wheels, but I was thinking about putting the tires on my 05 this summer. Let me know if your interested.

Waldo

Mark Rinker
03-04-2006, 10:20
Email me with your costs...I would be in the market for used rubber as well.

mark_rinker@hotmail.com

Heartbeat Hauler
03-06-2006, 15:03
Here's a site that has dual wheel conversion kits:
http://www.arrowcraft.com/arrowcraft.php?pageid=products&subpid=catalog&category=1&pagenumber=1

JP