PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Lubrication

Doug Thom
02-25-2006, 21:19
As I have just joined The Diesel Page, I'm not too sure if this posting is being done in the proper manner but here goes! I'm curious as to how many of you are using synthetic engine oils as well as synthetic transmission oils in your diesels and what your comments are please. Thanks for any comments you may make!
Doug

redbird2
02-26-2006, 06:58
I use Synthetic engine oil, ATF, and gear lube I have noticed a increase in fuel mileage and less wear on metal parts when doing oil anlyasis. Truck seems to start better in cold weather and moves easier on start up after its been bone chilling cold less rolling resistance.

RT
02-26-2006, 09:33
I run synthetic fluids for the cold weather performance and to push the oil change interval to 4000miles, which is acceptable according to oil analysis. Less time under the truck in the winter! RT

Doug Thom
02-26-2006, 09:52
What type of synthetic are you using? I notice you said 4000 mile change interval. With Amsoil as of recent, the drain interval PROVIDING you use their Amsoil Filter, is 25000 miles or 1 year. before this you had to change the filter only at 6 months or about 7000 miles or so and top up the oil due to the filter. I've been following that for about 3 years now with terrific results. Now I do a change complete once a year and install their new 1 year filter. With the oil analysis done at one year, the oil was still more than acceptable to keep using as long as the filter was changed.
Regards
Doug

Artworks
02-26-2006, 10:10
I have been thinking of switching to synthetic in my engine, but , being that I have only 30,000 kl. on this new engine, am told should not till it is 'wore' in a bit. Thoughts ? Doug, nice see nother 'Northerner'. maybe exchange some knowledge about 6.5's as far a service and parts up here ?

Doug Thom
02-26-2006, 10:25
Nice to have you here as well. From my experience so far my suggestion would be to switch over to synthetic ASAP regardless of the mileage. I did some very extensive research on all the major brands of synthetics and one of them stood out way beyond the others. I can give you further info if you like if you email me privately at dougbthom@mts.net. There is a procedure to follow at least with Amsoil to properly install their synthetic oils and the sooner they are installed on a new engine the better.
Regards
Doug

GMC Hauler
02-26-2006, 17:41
What type of synthetic are you using? I notice you said 4000 mile change interval. With Amsoil as of recent, the drain interval PROVIDING you use their Amsoil Filter, is 25000 miles or 1 year. before this you had to change the filter only at 6 months or about 7000 miles or so and top up the oil due to the filter. I've been following that for about 3 years now with terrific results. Now I do a change complete once a year and install their new 1 year filter. With the oil analysis done at one year, the oil was still more than acceptable to keep using as long as the filter was changed.
Regards
Doug

Are you using the dual remote filter setup or just the filter that replaces the spin on filter that is on the block? I am ready to make the switch, but the filter question has me stopped.

LanduytG
02-26-2006, 19:56
Nice to have you here as well. From my experience so far my suggestion would be to switch over to synthetic ASAP regardless of the mileage. I did some very extensive research on all the major brands of synthetics and one of them stood out way beyond the others. I can give you further info if you like if you email me privately at dougbthom@mts.net. There is a procedure to follow at least with Amsoil to properly install their synthetic oils and the sooner they are installed on a new engine the better.
Regards
Doug

As a newbie I guess you are not aware that we have paid advertisers on the forum.

Greg

GMC Hauler
02-26-2006, 20:12
Greg,

Are you carrying Amsoil's new filters? I didn't see them on your site?

Thanks

Doug Thom
02-26-2006, 22:57
Thanks Greg for the heads up re: paid advertisers on the site. I'm not aware of all the various rulings here as yet. I was not in any way attempting to market any product at all and will be more attentive to my future postings. SORRY if I caused anyone any concern whatsoever!
Someone asked if I was using a dual filter system on my truck. No Iam not I use the one filter only.
regards
Doug

LanduytG
02-27-2006, 04:14
GMCHualer
Yes we carry the new filters. We just have not had time to update the site.

Greg

Warren96
02-27-2006, 08:03
If I had a question about oils, or filters, I would ask the resident engineer,Dr. Lee.He knows a thing or two about it.Try the search button at the top of this page with the keyword 'bypass filter', or ' synthetic oil'.

K. D.
02-27-2006, 20:38
Have been running 0W-40 synthetic in my 98 since it first came on the market. The wild weather in this area makes this a necessity. We have gone from +25 to -40(Celsius) in the space of three days here. All my gear cases carry synthetic oils.

Wouldn't use anything else.

K. D.
98 K3500 x-cab dually pure stock 6.5

Doug Thom
03-02-2006, 20:37
Thanks to all of you for the great replies. It's appreciated!
Regards
Doug