PDA

View Full Version : What to do

mudnutt
02-26-2006, 10:08
My head gaskets are on the way out. I think i caught them very early. My problem is on what to do. I have a set of brand new head gaskets and head bolts and i know how to do the work so that is no problem. The problem is that i live in an apartment building so i cannot just do this in the parking lot. Along with the fact that it is around 20 degress here. I am also concerned that the block may have cracks. Now here is the question. Do i do the work and hope that the block is not cracked and might still go out somewhere down the line or do i trade it in now on 1 of the 2001 duramaxes that i've found for 20k or under?

Mark Rinker
02-27-2006, 06:52
Your question is a good one, but too many personal factors have to be weighed. Only you know what the right answer is.

You would be wise to get the truck on a hoist, drop the pan, and carefully inspect the webs for cracking. Problem is, once you know - you'll either want to keep the truck (repairing the heads) or sell it, and how do you sell a truck in good faith that has cracked webs?

If a dealer would give you anything reasonable in trade for the truck it might be a good time to upgrade. I haven't regretted the money spent on the Duramaxes, and the 6.5s will last a long time only plowing snow, not getting lots of road miles.

Its all up to you - but I agree with your problem solving approach.

mudnutt
02-27-2006, 12:29
Truck decided for me. Guess i didnt catch the head gaskets as soon as i thought. Anyone near Rush City MN got a garage they would be willing to let me use so i dont catch a cold